Damsweet asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dog starving himself and puking up bile. Dog Experts HELP!?

My dog is almost 1 yr old. He's been rebelling against breakfast lately and refuses to eat sometimes until late afternoon, but by then he will almost certainly puke up his excess bile in a foamy yellow puddle on the floor. I've pushed up his dinner and have tried giving him a snack before bed. I've even tried giving him a small biscuit in the morning to hold him over until he's ready to eat. But much of the time he'll just eat the biscuit and go without food until puking anyway. He has no problem eating his later meal and never goes to bed without eating it. If we add ANYTHING to his food, he'll eat it right away. But I don't want to be the kind of owner that bends to her dog's every whim and spoils him- he eats better than I do as it is (DVP's Natural Balance). It's become really stressful every morning knowing that he's going to totally ignore his food and puke - it can't be healthy. Yes, we went to a vet. She just said "nightly snack" and pepcid. We tried both. Great. Anyone?

Favorite Answer

You don't need a dog expert, you need a Vet. Something is wrong. Dogs don't puke to get you to bend to their every whim. Please take the dog to the vet, sounds like he needs it.

Edit: Get a second opinion...your vet obviousley isn't doing anything. Get it's blood tested...it could have kidney or liver problems. Or many other things...best wishes.

Yellow bile can just be an upset stomach - usually from not yet eating that day. My dogs get that sometimes. Diarrhea can also be an upset stomach but more from something he ate which he wasn't supposed to or sometimes when they get nervous. I would start him on a diet of plain, boiled white rice and boiled chicken and see if his symptoms improve over the next 24 hours. If they do not, take him to a Vet.

• Help

Dogs don't puck just to get its way.Something is definately wrong with your pet.Try replacing his water with the baby non-flavored pediolyte,this will settle its stomach and replace any electrolytes it has lost.If you haven't wormed this pet lately would suggest reworming it with Panacur which can be purchased at any vet clinic and is given by weight for three days in a row.I would try changing its food gradually and add a small amount of a good brand of canned puppy food in with it.If none of this helps would suggest seeing another vet.

Source(s): Breeder in Mississippi

I am not a dog expert but i certainly do love dogs. and know alot about them. I might be having an idea why your dog doesn't want to eat. i have 4 dogs. All different type. One of my dogs is a maltese, and the same thing happened. One way you could make your dog eat his food is playing with him and the food. lets say you have little balls of food. throw the little balls to him, and he will try and catch them. Another way is to make a big line of little balls ( one after the other ) so your dog follows it. You can also try and change the food, but trust me, dogs never get tired of their food. Dont always give your dog dog food. give your dog food that you parents make once in a while. Now dont let him get tooo used to house food.

HOPE THIS HELPS !

=]

• Pam

I agree with Becky, if he's been to the vet, and they said snack and pepcid, try either a tablespoon of cottage cheese or plain yogurt in his food! It's help with my dogs, and they're both great digestive aids!

Have you tried changing the food? Try peanut butter treats or anything else to try to get him interested in eating. It's rare that a dog will not eat.

Also, try another vet; get a second opinion.

G'luck

If he's vomiting, this could be a physical ailment. Take him to another vet for an in-depth diagnosis or investigation-- dogs don't starve themselves unless there's something wrong with them.

If he's sensitive or allergic to his food, go to cooked white rice and chicken.

He could be allergic to his food and is just so hungry in the evening he eats it anyway. Then he pukes because he's allergic. Try changing this food to one for "sensitive" stomachs.

He probally ate something he wasnt supposed to try with a vet so hes not hertting himself..

Try feeding him cottage cheese, has always worked for my dogs upset stomach. And if your not feeding dry food switch to it.