Does the ball have to cross the goal line to score a touchdown when a player steps inside the endzone?

I've seen some touchdowns where the player stepped in the end zone but it looked like the ball may have passed out of bounds before it crossed the goal line. I'm not questioning a particular call, I'm trying to understand the rule. Imagine if a player stepped into the end zone, but the ball stayed... show more I've seen some touchdowns where the player stepped in the end zone but it looked like the ball may have passed out of bounds before it crossed the goal line. I'm not questioning a particular call, I'm trying to understand the rule.

Imagine if a player stepped into the end zone, but the ball stayed in one of his arms that was still over the playing field and never crossed the goal line before he went down or went out of bounds. Would that be a touchdown?