Is radiation from a UHF frequency wireless microphone harmful?

I use a wireless UHF headset microphone system at work. I use it nonstop. I could switch to a wired system but it would be a little less convenient - worth doing so if the wireless one is harmful, but not if the wireless is OK.

So . . . does anyone know if this UHF radiation is harmful in any way? UHF wireless microphones are the best because UHF has the lowest distortion, but I wonder if that quality brings with it greater power/radiation.

Last note - the headset runs off of a 9v battery.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i dont think that the headset will do any damage as far as i am aware. it doesnt have enough power to cause damage (i presume) as it only runs off of a battery, and i presume it is only used over a short distance

• 1 decade ago

The bottom line answer is no. That said, in order to be properly evaluated, "harmfulness" needs to be evaluated probabilitistically (i.e., in terms of the risk posed). Almost everything in life poses some magnitude of risk in some form or another. For example, a wired system would probably pose some risk of tripping on the cord, conducting electricity from a nearby lightning strike, etc., while a wireless system might not, so that should enter into your comparative calculus of risk.

UHF radiation is non-ionizing radiation, which doesn't affect living cells the way ionizing radiation (e.g., x-rays, gamma rays, cosmic rays) does, so don't let the word "radiation" cause undue anxiety.

UHF refers to "ultra-high frequency," where the wavelength is a few inches to a foot, so UHF radio wave "fit" through windows and doors well, making it quite efficient for use in buildings and urban/suburban areas. UHF doesn't imply greater power or radiation than other frequencies -- the levels of power and radiation depend on the output power of the transmitter, the losses of any feedline that connects the transmitter to the antenna, and the gain of the antenna. If the antenna is about five or six inches long and directly connected to the transmitter, it's a typical quarter-wave whip, so the transmitter output power is the main issue. Since your wireless microphone runs on a tiny 9-volt battery, it probably only puts out a negligible few milliwatts of power. Such a power level is a mere fraction of what a typical cell phone emits. Moreover, your wireless microphone probably uses an analog FM signal without any subaudible tone (variously called CTCSS, PL, CG, privacy code, etc.). The only studies I've seen that suggest any risk from low-level ionizing radiation (such as one in IEEE Spectrum a dozen or so years ago) found risk only from digitally modulated signals or those modulated with a continuous low-frequency (e.g., subaudible) tone. Given all of that, I'd guesstimate the risk posed by your UHF wireless microphone to be perhaps 95% less than the risk posed by a typical cell phone, which no study that I've seen has conclusively found to be particularly risky.

• 3 years ago

Uhf Microphone Frequencies

• Marc X
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There is more radiation from sunlight than what you'll be exposed to in a wireless headset. There have been studies about the effects of radiation of cellphones going on for 15 years and the results still come back consistently that no one has suffered any ill effects. (And they don't blow up gas stations, either, that was another old wives tale.)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No it has a low power output - 1 watt or less.

I use my UHF ham radio handheld all the time 5 -watt power output.

GMRS / FRS radios are also UHF.

Its amazing the amount of RF Radiation a human body can absorb.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

yes i have read that the cell phones are harmful must be kept far away from human habitation : as we have to use the cell phone we can not keep away form us , albeit we can keep the same at a place where the harm is limited , like avoid keeping the cell phone in the shirt pocket, especially nearer to heart cell towers: i have also read/ seen in a local vernacular news channel (claim to be having circulation / viewership more than fox newschannel) more than once that the cell towers within the human habitation is dangerous as the same spread radiation . some colonies in vijayawada had experienced the problems , resisted the installation of towers in their colonies as an afterthought i tried to observe the towers position in US and found that the same are not positioned anywhere near the human habitation and they are built at a good height

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.