Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 decade ago

How much money do I need in the bank to live off the interest if I only need $700 a month to pay bills?

• Chris
    Favorite Answer

that all depends on interest rates but I am sure the amount would be in the billions.

• Gary

If you went to an on-line bank and just got a regular savings account that pays 5% APR you would need at least $168,000 in it. You would need two accounts because FDIC insured accounts pay up to $100,000. Here is how I got the $168,000. You could live on $700 per month so 700 x 12 months would be $8,400. Take 8400 and divide it by .05 (% of interest) and you would get $168,000.

If u need $700 a month, i know some good interest rates are 5%. That is an annual rate. 700x 12 = 15400 (what u need for a year) So u would need ... 308,000. Ya, i've thought about this too, wish i had more money to do this, though i'd still work somewhere. Anyway, don't always focus on money bud. There are more important things in life, god bless

Depends on where you put your money. I would say at least 500,000.00 in order to live on it reasonably in high rate savings, money market or CD.