Eating Pumpkin Pie? Healthy or not?

I love pumpkin pie and I only ever eat it when it is close to halloween or Thanksgiving. It has been on sale at the Grocery store the past couple of weeks now for only $2.50 a pie. Well to make a long story short, I bought 7 pumpkin pies within the past couple of weeks and have scarfed them all down. I usually go through about 2 pies in 3 or 4 days.

I am somewhat concerned with fighting the battle of the bulge. I usually try to eat right. I am 29 and weigh between 165 and 170. I am wondering what kind of caloric and fat content is in the pumpkin pie? I always eat it plain and I usually throw away the outside upper ridging of crust. I think that since it is pumpkin and a vegetable it would be somewhat healthy for you, maybe high in vitamin A or C. So I am wonder am I eating nutriously or is it just as bad as say eating a bowl of ice cream or a bag of chips?

Favorite Answer

pumpkin pie does have a lot of vitamin A in it but it also is mostly fats and carbs. If you eat that many pies in so little time sure you will eventually start gaining weight but it isnt anywhere as bad as eating 3-4 cheese cakes in the same amount of days..its getting close to that time of year anyway..where weight gain is inevitable lol

Source(s): commercially prepared pumpkin pie usually has 10 grams of fat with 4 grams being saturated with 229 calories in an average pie

Pumpkin is very healthy, and you can bake Pumpkin pie using Splenda....it does not brown nicely though, astetically it is better to use 1/2 sugar 1/2 Splenda. Also, I belive you can now buy lowfat or fat free evaporated milk, and you could use Eggbeaters instead of whole eggs. Leave out the crust and you have a down-right healthy Pumpkin custard. Yumm I have done all but the fat free, and while they don't always look pretty, they taste yummy.