Can I use any external hard drive with a macbook?

I have a Maxtor 3200 USB hard drive and I'm about to move to a mac. Will it work?

I just found out that the file system is NTFS!! What should I do??

Favorite Answer

if its this one, no

http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/Basics_B...

check the documentation or box it came with.

It should work no problem. I use Macs and PC's at work and I have never come across a drive that won't be read by a Mac. The only issue you may have is the way the drive is formatted. Both a Mac and PC will read a FAT32 formatted drive, NTFS is only for a PC, and HFS is only for a Mac.

If you are copying info over to the Mac from your PC on the ext drive, just be sure it is FAT32, if not, reformat as such, copy the info back to the ext drive and your good to go.

It should. Just depends on the way it's formatted.

If it's formated as FAT32, you should be fine. But if it's formatted as NTFS, then the mac will have a hard time reading it.

Of course, if you're only going to use it on the Mac, you can format it in Apple's HFS+ format.

Good luck!

it might mac don't have very many drivers and most stuff is support by Microsoft and windows when it comes to stuff like that.

but why are you moving to a mac? i feel sorry for you.

it should, might have to format it