Is there a way to avoid paying outrageous PMI if you plan to finance 100% of a new home?

My husband and I are planning to purchase a new home in the next couple of months. I know that traditionally, without 20% down payment, banks require you to pay PMI. While I understand the bank's perspective on this, as a buyer - it seems like money thrown to the wind every month.

My husband has impeccable credit, so we can get a good interest rate. We just aren't in a position to put 20% down at this time. I have heard about 80/20 loans, but I am not sure if that is a better option. I am only intrested in a 30 year fixed rate mortgage - no ARM! Do I have any other options other than PMI???

Favorite Answer

Every buyer hates paying PMI but unfortunately when you borrow more than 80% of the homes value you have to pay it. Your only options are:

1) An 80% 1st mtg and 20% second mtg- you will have 2 monthly payments and 2nd mortgage rates are higher so sometimes this is not beneficial.

2) A 75% 1st mtg and 25% second mtg-same draw backs as listed above.

3) If you qualify for a VA loan they will finance up to 100% without PMI.

4) Rural Development programs also do not have PMI.

One benefit of PMI effective this year you can take a tax deduction on the PMI paid if you fall in the designated income bracket.

Now, there are some loan programs that have a reduced PMI premium:

FHA

My Community Mortgage

Lender paid MI- is an option but you will be trading in your lower rate for this. However, I would suggest you get a quote on this to see if it would be beneficial for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good Luck.

Source(s): Mortgage Banker
  • An 80/20 or 75/25 loan eliminates the PMI requirement. The first mortgage has a lower interest rate based on credit and other items. The second mortgage has a higher interest rate, also based on credit, and comes in different flavors, i.e. terms.

Be sure the second mortgage is a LOAN and NOT a HELOC (home equity line of credit). And make absolutely certain you understand the "term" portion of the second mortgage.

Try these 3 tactics;

a; a lease option to buy and ask the seller to

pay the PMI [or buy direct and put in the contract

that the seller reimburse you for the PMI]

b; find a foreclosure home and see if you can

get it for 25-50% below market value.

Then, the lender is insured.

c. Create a small home business that excites you and have it pay the PMI and also

earn you tons of money. [no joke, I suggest

people do this all the time to

help pay bills and have an outside income.]

just NOT mlm or other BS thing.

IT must be something you love.

i will help if you wish, no cost

Source(s): RE broker

you can get a loan with lender paid mortgage insurance (LPMI). It wouldn't matter if you had an ARM or not. Less than 20 % down , you are going to pay MI. MI is now deductible. 80/20 may be the way to go, you'll get a good rate on the 1st and with extra payments to principal you can pay down the 2nd early, and get rid of the higher rate payment

If the merchandising fee is $120k you will would desire to place down a minimum of $24k to circumvent PMI. The eighty% discern is predicated upon the decrease of the appraised fee or the merchandising fee. do no longer positioned ANY inventory in internet-based valuations. they're often ineffective.

there is discounted PMI with MyCommunity/HomePossible programs..you would need to qualify.

FHA is 2.25% down and it has very good PMI rates....

or you can take a higher interest rate and have the lender paid PMI product

I'm pretty sure most will require it. However, in the US you should be able to deduct your PMI payments come income tax time.

You can do an 80% first that is FIXED and you can do a 20% that has a fixed feature to it, which is a popular option.

• Judy

Pretty much any lender will require PMI if you don't have 20% equity in your home.