Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesDodge · 1 decade ago

Dodge Intrepid 2000 - reliable car?

I'm just about to buy a dodge intrepid 2000 which has a mileage of 140,000. I got a 2 year warranty on it (for the engine and transmission) all for $3400. The car has no body damage and it looked pretty good to me. I'm going to get a carfax on it too.

The only thing I'm worried about is the mileage. Do you think it would break down on me coz the mileage is so high?

Best Answer

First of all if the mileage is highway it should be fine. The only real thing to worry about on the motor of an Intrepid is loosing oil pressure, usually the 3.5 24 valve.

Do yourself a huge favour buy the automotive lemonade book that comes out one a year its an excellent used or new or rookie buyer tool and a great eye opener too. Hope that helps and best of luck.By the way whenever deciding on buying any vehicle be sure to do your homework and if the seller won't allow you to have your own reliable mechanic check it over for you performing a full inspection check then walk away from the deal asap.The 2.7's don't have a good rep so stay far away from those engines unless you've proof that it was well taken are off and is mechanically up to par. I own a 3.3 Intrepid and to me their one of the best engines that Dodge ever used in their vehicles "accept for the older slant six engines that is".

If it has a 2.7, run. Even if you keep oil change records, your extended warranty will not pay for the sludge that kills the engine. I am a warranty claims adjuster. The 2.7 is garbage and it will not be replaced for a problem the manufacturer is well aware of. If it has a 3.5 you will be fine. The transmission problems the Intrepids had from 94-96 are pretty well gone.

check your engine size before you buy it, if it is a 2.7 i would not get it. if that is a aftermarket warranty thru a used car lot thsy will not pay for engine repair on a 2.7. if it is a chrysler service contract you will be okay. if the car is a 2.7 the 8th digit in the vin will be an R . the timing chains stretch on the 2.7 and cause early engine failure and most aftermarket warranties will not pay because it is considered lack on maint (whether it was your fault or not) i have seen this happen alot.

if its a 3.2 or 3.5 engine, you'll be fine. if it has a 2.7 at 140000 miles, its been replaced already. almost 0 problem with transmissions in these past 1997. the 2 year service contract is the best thing to do. i would have it checked by a trusted mechanic first. sounds like a decent deal, as long as its not wrecked, and its been taken care of.

Source(s): chrysler tech

if they are willing to give a 2 year warranty on motor and tranny then i would go for it if they had any ideas either might be bad they wouldnt be offering that kind of warranty

it might not be the engine tht u should worry about..its the transmission on dodges..

they arent tht good..

If it's a 2.4 or 2.7 Liter engine...NOOOOOO!!!

Source(s): Secrets.

NO WAYYYYYYY