How can i update my XP sp1 to sp2 using windows xp professional service pack 2 cd?

How can I do this? Do i need to reinstall. How much time does it take? I ONLY NEED TO INSTALL THE UPDATES.... Detailed answers please... Thanks!!!

Favorite Answer

You should be able to install SP2 regardless of whether you're upgrading from SP1 or just reinstalling Windows XP Pro from scratch without SP1. SP2 will totally replace most, if not all, of your Windows files; and includes all updates up to SP2. The process can take up to several hours, depending on the size and speed of your system.

I'm surprised they didn't include instructions with the disk. Check the CD for a 'readme' file. Also, try booting the system from the CD instead of your hard drive. You'll have to refer to your operating manual to see how to do this from your system. There is usually a prompt on one of the early screens during the boot process that will tell you to press a specified Function key (F1 thru F10 or F12 typically) to change the boot order, or failing this, enter the BIOS setup, which should prompt in this manner as well.

The following site gives a detailed installation walkthrough for Windows XP Service Pack 2 for everything except the CD version (don't you just love the sloppy programmers at MS?):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875364

the easiest way would be to use windows update instead.

If you want to use your cd, the smoothest procedure I can think of is booting from cd, deleting the partition, then creating a new partition where you can install the fresh win xp with sp2. (that would be reformatting, btw.)

just insert and run your XP Professional Service pack 2 cd into ur computer, select the option that let u update ur XP professional.

the time depends to ur computer performance.

• myra

sure you're able to try this. Boot off of your XP CD and setting up the OS, reformatting the irritatingcontinual. determine you BOOT off of the CD. whilst asked for the PRODUCT KEY - Use HIS product key not YOURS, or you is in basic terms not waiting to turn on the gadget. once you get it put in you are able to setting up provider %. 2 and all of the updates approximately a hundred of them. desire you have a solid broadband connection. in case you like from now on furnish help to can email me. bill

go to MS downloads and you can download and install SP2 there, Don't know how long it will take I don't know your connect speed, dial up, dsl etc