Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

Does having more disk space on the Hardrive (C) increase computer speed?

Also do you believe I should compress my whole hardrive? it says it will save diskspace...

And if not, do you think i should only compress certain folders? what about the file named "WINDOWS" I'me running XP and want to compress some files to save disk space, and will it increase computer performance?

Thanks Computers experts!

Favorite Answer

You can do disk defragmentation, and disk cleanup.

Disk cleanup "cleans" or deletes your cookies, temporary files, and other files of that sort. This will most likely speed up internet connection, since the cookies, which are small files that remember sessions, are removed, and they "refresh" your computer

Disk defragmentation "arranges" files in your memory so it can understand and analyzes processes better. Imagine the memory as one big stack. Sometimes, the CPU just sort of drop things on that stack after the process, since you can only access the top of the stack. And the stack would just be so disarranged. Also, defragmentation removes unnecessary files.

My suggestion is to do both. Do not try to remove files in WINDOWS folder. It's risky and you'd want to keep your computer in a safe situation.

So, I'm not an expert, just a user. You might try removing all files that have zero bytes. Some of these are needed to run your programs, so your computer will ask if you want to remove it and you can say "no" and continue.

If you do run the defrag program, it will reorganize your hard drive so your files are continuous rather than in different places. This will help with the speed. What your computer does when you change a file is put the change elsewhere on the drive rather than putting it all together. It remembers where everything is, but will run faster if the file is all in the same place. If you use your computer a lot and keep changing files, it might be useful to run this once a month.

Do you have a program installed that will remove spyware? That might help, too.

If your speed is a problem with the booting up process, maybe your computer is running programs in the background that you don't need. Also, if you have old files you no longer need, removing them will help, but you should do that before you defrag. I don't mess with compressing files unless I'm sending them to someone or writing them off onto portable storage.

• Luby

If your computer is out of disk space, your speed will reduce, usually if you have less then 200mb free, but you won't notice the difference if its above that.

You should compress any files that your computer does not run everytime you start up, such as pictures or games. I don't recomend compressing "Windows", because most files there are ran all the time.

Delet all the files you don't need and run "Disk cleanup", then Defragment your computer.

Source(s): I am a technician

Compressing your hard disk will reduce your computer's overall speed, because every time it has to access a file on the disk, it will need to uncompress it first.

The best way to free up disk space would be to delete files you don't need any more, or to buy an external hard drive or usb stick drive.

First go to Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs. Uninstall all the programs you don't need. Now go to Start->Run->Msconfig->Startup tab. Remove everything you don't need on starting of your computer. Now go to my computer and do this for each of the drives: Right click on the drive and click Properties. In General tab click Disk Cleanup. It will show you the junk files. Check all the boxes and click OK. Also in the disk cleanup box go to More Options tab. Under "System Restore And Shadow Copies" click cleanup. It will remove useless old restore points. Now go to start->run and type temp and press enter.In the window that opens delete all files and folders. Repeat the same thing for %temp% folder. Now go to STart->all programs->accessories->system tools->disk defragmenter. Defragment all your disks. Now reboot your computer. It will certainly seem fast.

No.

More importantly would be to defrag quite often. THIS will speed your programs more than anything. It'll keep it from searching for all sectors of a particular program that are randomly scattered when you don't defrag.

Forget compressing, it won't make that much difference.

yes