herbananas asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

fav horse breed?

wats your favorite horse breed and why? which kind of horse do you think has the best disposition? I like Quarter Horses.

Favorite Answer

Morgans!!!!!

The first breed of USA was theNarragansett Pacer, a breed now extinct, preceded Morgans as a type of horse unique to America. The Morgan was the second "breed" unique and native to America. A "breed" is defined as: n. A group of organisms having common ancestors and certain distinguishable characteristics, especially a group within a species developed by artificial selection and maintained by controlled propagation. To be an "American Breed" means the horses are something unique to this country, or bear unique characteristics and are not related to breeds with the same characteristics in another country. No other American breed can trace its pedigrees back as far as the Morgan horse can to the same foundation horse. The Morgan IS, indeed, the first true American breed based on bloodlines. Other breeds may have had that type of horse (pacer, harness racer, quarter racer) in colonial days but cannot claim those horses as ancestors today. Indeed, many were in fact offspring of Justin Morgan! Morgans are well suited to distance riding because of their great physical endurance, heart and strength, good sense, excellent feet, and sturdy bone structure. Their hearty appetites are a plus! Management techniques for a heavier bodied Morgan may be different than that used for a lighter weight breed, but Morgans can and do shine in the distance riding world!

Today, more than 60 registered Morgans have competed successfully in recognized USDF Open Dressage Competitions at third level and higher. Morgans are making an increasing impact on the national Dressage scene as their impulsion, lightness and grace, and their love for the work and their rider is demonstrated.

The Morgan played an integral role in the development of the west in the 1800s and early 1900s, carrying settlers to their new homes, working the cattle on their cattle ranches, packing their owners into the mountains to hunt, and playing rodeo games on their days off! Things have changed some over the years but these great horses are still doing all of the above (except carrying settlers to their new homes)! Never getting their share of the publicity, these western working Morgans are excelling at what they do! A tractable temperament allows the Morgan to excel when driving in single or multiple hitches. Companionable and comfortable on a quiet pleasure ride anywhere open skies beckon, working as a sensible partner in a long day of ranch work or endurance riding, waiting alert and ready to enter a show ring, or performing in formal riding disciplines, the Morgan is a versatile horse within a versatile breed. The Morgan horse agreeably adapts to his owner's life style. This first American breed can be found worldwide. Morgans were a favored mount by cavalry soldiers in the Civil War. They were sensible under fire. The could march tirelessly all day. They maintained their condition on unpredictable rations. And they were loyal to their riders in all circumstances. Morgans recorded by Civil War stories include Reinzi, Charlemagne, Little Sorrel. Other Morgans included the mounts of the 5th New York Cavalry: Pink, Betty, Cockeye, Prince, Frank, Mink, Mollie, Jack (#1), Topsy, Nellie, Jack (#2), Dunlap's mare, Sukey, Black Dick, Brydon's Nellie, Charley, Jane, Pomp, Wyman Horse, June, Lucy. A monument was built to honor Pink, and a marker was made for the grave of Billy. Betty Root served under Lt. Trussel in the 1st Vermont Cavalry. Old Clem was owned by Colonel Lemuel Platt who organized the 1st Vermont Cavalry. Clifton was ridden by Dr. William Capeheart of North Carolina until he was killed in action in March 1864.

& This is just a few reasons why I love my Morgans!!!

Source(s): Riding for 30yrs

Tennessee Walking Horses!!

Growing up all I wanted to do was get my first American Paint Horse having ridden a few and loved their beauty. All it took was one ride on a Tennessee Walking mare and I instantly had a change of mind. The smooth ride or glide is really something that every horse enthusiast needs to experience. The sweet disposition, willing to go slow but more energetic than most. Very full of life and lots of want to with many different talents. I also have a bad back and because of that I was told I couldn't ride, so had it not been for my best friends (Regal and Ranger TWH geldings) that I already had I probably would not still be riding horses today!! They make my love for horses a real possibility with my back problems and treat me like only a best friend could.

This one is for two of the greatest guys in the world

-Regal and Ranger!!!

I like to be different. My fav. horse breed is the Kiger Mustang. I own one, and they are the best horses you can own if you want a one person,willing,smart,easy learning,and all around horse. I am training in reining, and my kiger mustang has the speed, strenght, disipline, and willingness to learn... that can top any Quarter horse at the sport. I have had him since he was 2, and he is 5 now. We have came so far, becuase i have trianed him all on my own. On top of that, at mustang auctions the yearlings sell for about $10! a best friend, great competitor, show horse, trial horse, pasture horse and everything for $10!!!

Quarter Horses. Enough said.

• CJ

Norwegian Fjords, and Quarter Horses.

Source(s): I have one of each.

That's a tough call. I love all horses - preferably Friesians, Moriesians, Quarter Horses, and Arabians.

My favorite type of horse is a Quarter Horse because they're great all-around horses with the eagerness to please - they can do anything: from farm work and rodeo to cross country, racing, and dressage. You name it they can do it :)

• I have a 31/2 year old arab mare,so defintly arabs are my very favorite breed,they will do anything you ask(if asked in a nice way) they are very loving and loyal,and can do any disciple,english,western,saddleseat,endurance-I love them!

After a arab, I would say the Missouri Foxtrotter is my next favorite,I rode three at the old barn I used to board at and one stallion got my totally hooked on the breed,their gait is so wonderful and smooth and they have a very willing disposition.I also like the Tennesse Walker.

I like Palomino/Quarter Horses but I like Quarter horses more.

No doubt about, I love a Throughbred/Quarter cross, you get the levelheadness of the 1/4, and the height of the Throughbred. Actually I always LOVED them all, done every thing from racing trotting ponies , to racing throughbreds. And pretty much everything in between.

i love arabians, national show horses, warmbloods, quarter horses, and paints. but arabians are my favorite. however, i think that overall quarter horses and paints tend to have the best dispositions.

Source(s): i have a paint and have ridden every breed i've mentioned.