Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How many of you out there give thanks before you eat your meal?

Ages ago people said 'grace'. We now give thanks for our food and all daily blessings. Is this a custom with other people?

Favorite Answer

I do

Source(s): Every singlemealI take, I give thanks because alot of people int he world are dying coz of lack of food; I consider myself very lucky to have a meal, since am no special than the ones lacking the food.
  • faith

Yes, I grew up saying the blessing or grace before each meal. My family and I still do say grace and thank God for the food before we eat, regardless where we are.

Years ago people truly were thankful for their food, and any money they had, because it wasn't as plentiful as now.They helped each other and had true neighborly love. Now we are a spoiled, wasteful nation. Most, not all, are not thankful as the list shows, they take it for granted or feel it is owed to them.Visit areas where people are starving, see how thankful they would be if you gave them a piece of bread. I've been there, and I'm thankful for all God gives me.

Well if another person has made it I thank them.I thank the waiter in restaraunts and take aways.I pray to and thank the gods daily but not before meals usually.

As a child we use to pray before every meal. I don't have home when eating alone, but do when I go out. I should make it more of a custom even if I am alone.

I do, This is teaching of Islaam

[46:15] We enjoined the human being to honor his parents. His mother bore him arduously, gave birth to him arduously, and took intimate care of him for thirty months. When he reaches maturity, and reaches the age of forty, he should say, "My Lord, direct me to appreciate the blessings You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and to do the righteous works that please You. Let my children be righteous as well. I have repented to You; I am a submitter."

At the start of a formal meal on a big occasion, I think a non-religious and inclusive 'grace' is appropriate. Either something like:

"Let us enjoy good food and good drink, And let us thank all whose efforts have set them before us; Let us enjoy good companionship, And let us each one be good company to the others; Let us enjoy ourselves, without guilt, But let us not forget that many are less fortunate."

Or

Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub!

I say thanks to my God before every meal, before I go to bed, and when I wake up in the morning. Why wouldn't I when he has blessed me with so much? I am eternally grateful to him, and I take the chance to thank him for everything he gives me as often as I can.

I pray daily, but not before meals. A bit too "Look at me!" for my taste, unless done silently.

• ?

When I'm on the ship, I pray before every meal that the food won't kill me.

Source(s): It is the soldier above all others that prays for peace, for it is he that must bear the wounds and scars of war.

My 3 year old and I say thanks to God for the food every time we eat, and if we're eating a takeaway or at a restaurant we ask Him to bless the hands that prepared and delivered the food. It's very adorable when she says her own quiet grace along with my prayers and thanks.