Will I improve gas miledge with bigger tires(20inch) or smaller tires(18 inch) on my f150 pickup?

I wanna get better fuel efficiency on my truck. I have to size tires with the same bolt pattern and basically thesame tread pattern. Which size will gimme better fuel economy?

Favorite Answer

If you want the best fuel economy go with the standard size tire that came on your truck out of the factory.

Larger diameter wheels certainly won't help because you will end up with heavier wheels and tires that take more power to turn, and wider tires that increase rolling resistance.

• dave g5 years agoReport

what will add more miles--at 20" or a 18" ? if rave 100 miles?

The size of the wheels will not have an effect on the fuel economy. The overall diameter of the tire is what would make a difference. The larger the tire the less rpm the engine would turn to go the same speed thus resulting in a slight increase in fuel economy. This however would skew the speedometer reading making it seem as though you were getting worse fuel mileage due to the speedometer reading slower than it should. The speedo would have to be calibrated for a tire size change. The best thing to do is get a tire of the proper size that has low rolling resistance such as a constant rib highway tread with a harder compound rubber.

Source(s): ASE master tech

Smaller Tires Better Gas Mileage

actually it depends on your driving style and where you drive the larger wheel and tire combination is generally heavier there for city driving with alot of stop and go requires more throttle to get to speed to make up for the additional rotating mass there for reducing gas mileage. if you drive at constant speeds for a long period of time like highway driving then the larger tires will need to rotate less to cover the same ground there for lowering engine speed (RPM) and consuming less fuel. I have a 2001 4x4 expedition with a 5.4l triton I have 20" rims with a 35" tires and according to the truck I get 13 miles to the gallon. I had 17" stock rims and stock tires that were 30" i believe maybe smaller but with those on there I got 16mpg but i drive alot of city driving. like others have said with the tire and wheel swap your speedometer will be off mine shows I'm going 5mph slower so when my speedo says I'm going 65 I'm going about 70

I believe the smaller tires will give you better gas mileage as the bigger tire will take more engine power to get them make a full revolution then the smaller ones :D

• Your driving habits/uses (speed, smoothness, payloads carried), location (e.g., city vs. suburb vs. rural) and drive train configuration will dominate your MPG, far more than will your wheel size. I also have an F150 with 20 inch wheels and I don't get real great gas mileage...but that's MAINLY because I chose the off-road and towing packages on the vehicle. These drive the gear ratios in my transmission and the differential.

For example, my can get 28 MPG on the highway at 55 miles per hour...but only get 18-19 mpg on highway at 70.

Temperature/season also drive gas mileage; my F150 w/3.6L EcoBoost engine (twin turbo, gas) will get only 10-12 MPG when temp is below 20 degrees F, until the engine warms up, Below zero, I only get 7-9 MPG until engine warms up. Not counting "warm-up" times, overall I see 1-3 MPG better performance during summer as compared to winter. The difference in warm vs. cold mpg is so large, that we installed an engine block heater in our truck, and yes, it did make an immediate difference in mpg, at least on days below 20 degrees. I wouldn't recommend the block heater solely based on mpg improvements, because they're not cheap...but for us, it made sense.

Also, remember to change your air filter. I got lazy with mine, hadn't changed the original air filter for over two years. When I finally figured it out and changed to a new air filter, I had an immediate 1.5 mpg improvement. If you're on a tight budget, at least pull the filter and shake it out, perhaps even vacuum it clean (be careful, strong shop vacs can such right through a paper filter).

Bottom line: you've got far bigger challenges regarding MPG than your wheel size. Look at the package as a whole, and

Source(s): Personal experience with our F-150 gas-engine truck.

smaller tires would be best but, check you owners manual ppl spent years developing your truck testing tweaking testing tweaking go with the recommended tire/rim size other then that purchasing performance or at least road tires will help out seeing as the contact area or the tire will be smooth

Source(s): state cert. mech. amatur drifter
  • bobweb

Bigger tires are like shifting into overdrive and give you better gas mileage as long as the engine RPM's don't go so low as to "lug" the engine. So at highway speeds your engine RPM would be lower and therefore reduce the amount of fuel your using.

specific for some stupid reason i think of various women assume that, and length of guy has not something to do with the dimensions of their penis, many adult males that are fairly enormous and tall are embarrassed because of the fact i think of that they comprehend women assume they are extensive down there lol and that they don't % them to be disillusioned cuz the are not.. i think of a few human beings think of of Asians as having very small penises, no remember what their height lol

Smaller the other will have more weight mass.