My laptop battery died and now it won't start with the power cord. What's wrong?

The battery on my Dell Inspiron laptop died a couple of months ago even though I've only had the laptop a little over a year. Someone told me it was because I didn't condition the battery properly. Anyway I didn't have money at the time to buy a new battery so I continued running it off the power cord.... show more The battery on my Dell Inspiron laptop died a couple of months ago even though I've only had the laptop a little over a year. Someone told me it was because I didn't condition the battery properly. Anyway I didn't have money at the time to buy a new battery so I continued running it off the power cord.

Now all of a sudden the laptop won't start or boot up at all. When I press the power button all the lights come on for 2 seconds and then they switch off leaving only the power light and blue-bluetooth light on. And nothing, no screen activity, fans, nothing.

I tried taking out the battery and booting on the power cord alone but the same thing happens.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?