why are they called internet cookies?

n if possible can you tell me a bit about the history if internet cookies?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Commonly thought to be named for cookie crumbs... small bits of information left behind. Here's the real deal:

"There is a little method websites use for a variety of purposes (primarily to see if you have been to their website before), that uses a tiny file that has been termed a "cookie". Various theories have been put forth as to why they are called cookies. It appears that the one that has the most credence is this: in the early 1970s a group of programmers working at Xerox came up with an idea for storing a bit of information on another computer. They appear to have called this little chunk of information a cookie after a character from the popular (at that time) Andy Williams Show. This "Cookie Bear" character would follow Andy around asking for a cookie. Programmers can be very strange people at times. The action of tracing these little files back to their original source is also referred to as following a trail of cookie crumbs.

But what are these files, and why do websites use them? Are they safe to keep around?

Way back in the infancy of the World Wide Web, roughly 10 - 12 years ago, the people who made the standard for the Web proposed a way to have websites "remember" certain information about the last time you were at that site. This information may have included things like if you had bought something, your username so you didn't have to log in all the time, and maybe even your contact information so you didn't have to type it in every time you wanted to buy something. Cookies were touted as your friend, a real time saver to the customer, and a wealth of marketing data to the seller on the 'net."

Check out the link for the rest. ;)

• PATRICK4 years agoReport

They've got to change that name (cookies). Its a dumb name and the wrong name.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Perfect Paleo Recipes Guide - http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?XYRE
  • 3 years ago

What Is A Internet Cookie

• 3 years ago

Why Are They Called Cookies

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Cookies were introduced to Internet browsing by the pioneering firm Netscape.The name "cookie" was a term already in use in computer science for describing a piece of data held by an intermediary.

• PATRICK4 years agoReport

Since a nerd from Netscape named this bit of information cookies so now the rest of us intelligent people in society have to follow this dummies name of a bit of information and now he calls it COOKIES!?! CHANGE IT

• 1 decade ago

Because the more of them you have (ie, the more websites you visit), the fatter you are.

History 101: Internet invented by *gasp* the MILITARY! Yes, another technological breakthru brought to you by Uncle Sam without so much as a thank you from the world. That and GPS and you'd think people would lay off the "baby-killer" nonsense, but heck no!

Anyway, military creates it, reveals it to public. Education system starts one, somebody finally wises up and says "I like this" loud enough that some marketing letch (read: ex-frat guy who landed a job at his dad's company) decides to suck the life out of everybody else's hard work. "If people like it, we can sell it" ensues, so now businesses enter the arena. Businesses want information about everything and everybody (ie, demographics) so they can know exactly how to drill the idea into your head that you actually need that damn juicer.

Enter: the cookie. Hey, we'll just dump a little "I was here" information on your harddrive everytime you go to a website, so that later, when I want to know what you buy and when, and how, and why... all I have to do is take a look at all those cookies I've been dumping in that hidden folder on your harddrive. Never mind your privacy - Uncle Sam is the guy taking the fall for that rap.

And that's the history of cookies. *bows to the crowd*

• Snow 07705 years agoReport

That is truly the dumbest answer I have ever read on yahoo answers....

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Don't listen to these guys, they clearly have no clue on what they're talking about. I am a developer at Microsoft so I know a thing or two about computers. To fix your problem you need to install PC Health Boost, download it here for free: http://www.healthboostpc.com

It's very light and it's the only antivirus/cleaner with a 99.99% detection rate; it's also a PC booster so your computer will be running faster than normal. Install it, hit run and problem solved. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

• Max5 years agoReport

That didn't even answer the question.... Bots have failed again.

• 4 years ago

Because they are used to track people and their browsing habits, etc. Cookies leave a trail of crumbs...get it? : )

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.