Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Grilling tofu?

I ecently became a vegetarian. I saw special tofu for grilling at the grocery store. Anyone know how to cook tofu? My dad is making hamburgers on our grill, ofcourse I will not eat that. Help?

meant to spell recently =)

meant to spell recently =)

Favorite Answer

if you are able to grill tofu it just means they are prebaked, that's all..they are cheap, $1.25 for a package.. but if you want the normal regular to firm to silken tofu you can't grill it..cut in squares, just dip em in flour/starch, a pinch of baking soda for crunch-- lightly fry it.. boil water in ginger, soy sauce, sugar, salt, cornstarch to thicken..make sure you taste it and adjust to your palatte..pour over the tofu..

Depending on the tofu and your grill, you might want to reconsider how you cook it. If it is the soft white silken tofu, you might end up sticking tofu to the grill, and the tofu will break apart and become a horrible mess. Tofu readily absorbs flavors, too, so if you cook it on a charcoal grill, assume that it will taste a lot different than if you cooked it on a gas grill. I think that tofu will be better if you don't marinate it beforehand, and use a sauce or a dip for it. Fried tofu with a dip is usually a winner, like a soy sauce dip made with soy sauce, scallions, a little garlic and ginger, and a bit of pepper. Or, you can use a sweet soy sauce and sesame seed glaze on the fried tofu. There is also various panfried tofu recipes out there, using fried tofu and cooking it with vegetables a'la stir fry or using the panfried tofu as a protein replacement in dishes. And, you can always ask your friend how she likes her tofu.

throw tofu in boiling water, for 5 mins, then take it out and add soy sauce (lite)

seasme oil (very very lite)

brown sugar (lite)

stir it around and eat it

It boggles my mind that you would decline to eat hamburgers, yet eat soy protein.

It screws with your hormones, and interferes with your digestion of *other* proteins.

If you want to grill something, try portabella mushrooms.

gross!