Monitor keeps blinking on and off?

My computer monitor (19 inch hp pavilion vf17) keeps blinking on and off when I turn on my computer. At first, I thought it was a problem with my actual computer, but then I plugged in my friend's monitor and everything worked fine. When I plugged in my own monitor to an electrical outlet, it continued blinking... show more My computer monitor (19 inch hp pavilion vf17) keeps blinking on and off when I turn on my computer. At first, I thought it was a problem with my actual computer, but then I plugged in my friend's monitor and everything worked fine. When I plugged in my own monitor to an electrical outlet, it continued blinking on and off (little light on the bottom flashes from green to blank). This happened to me a few weeks earlier, but after turning my computer on and off a couple of times, my monitor was normal. Now, it is starting to blink on and off again. Is there a way to fix this problem without actually getting a new monitor or having someone else fix it? I'm a college student and cannot afford to replace one. Any suggestions??
8 answers 8