Texas Gal asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why do dogs kick their feet after using the bathroom?

My male min pin does it and while he's doing it, he growls and makes noises like that.

my female pug does it also but without the noise.

Just wondering!!

Favorite Answer

They do NOT have scent glands on their feet. They are territorial and are trying to scatter the scent, Dogs don't cover their scent. A dog scatters the scent to mark its territory, so the growling goes along with that. It's a cat that will try to cover it's scent.

EDIT: Sorry if I wasn't clear initially, but I stand by my original answer. The glands in dogs' feet are sweat glands, not scent glands, and even though dogs' excellent noses can catch scent from this sweat, it is not the scent used to mark their territory--that is in the urine. It's why dogs lift their legs to mark things, otherwise all they'd do would be to walk around scratching their feet in the dirt. Geez, who knew people would get all riled up about such an innocent question?

this is a wild instinct. dogs have fragrance glands interior the bottoms of their ft. Cats have this besides. those hairy hunters alongside with bears, come from one inventory. via way of evolution they chop up. All of those creatures nevertheless carry glands on the backside of their paws. that's why your cat rubs his claws on issues, and bears claw timber. This tells different hunter creature that it fairly is my territory. Their fragrance communicates not in elementary terms to their genotype yet to all the hairy hunters. dogs frequently try this as quickly as they do their employer or in the event that they are barking or growling at some thing. They scratch the floor to tell an interloper, that he claims that territory. Even the smallest dogs will try this. A dogs does not comprehend he's a dogs. they seem to be a creature, they don't reason in that way. they think of that they seem to be a wolf. It does not remember the dimensions. people manipulated their genes, yet some wild nevertheless exist.

They are territorial and are marking their territory with their scent. Yes dogs do have scent glands on the bottom of their feet as well as the base of the tail and their face.

My Shih-tzu will kick with his feet even if he doesn't have to pee or poop, to leave his mark.

Just his way to prove "He's the man" He is making his mark and spreading it around so he seems bigger, stronger than any other dog that may come around :-) it say's "he be one bad dog! "

They are just trying to "cover" where they went, my parents female dog does it more than her male son (my dog.) I think it's just their way of covering, and sometimes she does it with a stance like she's the "top dog," even though she's a little pom!

My dog (chihuahua) does that!!! I wanted to know the samething lol It's funny to me how she sticks her short back legs straight up.

Another way to mark their territory.

2 reasons to make others smell or so they don't have to smell it lol

Its programmed that way when its answer its natures call.GL

He thinks he is covering his poopy/pee.

Or maybe he is marking his spot & doing so aggresively.