Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Conclusion?

Here is the conclusion to my essay, please read over it and tell me what you think. I mainly need to know if the last 2 sentences sound ok together, and if not please help me transistion them in better. Thanks for the help.

Here it is

In the novel, The Great Gatsby, the overruling theme throughout the novel is the corruption of the American dream. To achieve the American dream one must be fully content with every aspect of their life, they must be honest, and they must have good morals. Throughout The Great Gatsby there are many characters that try to achieve their ultimate dream, but they all, in one way or another, fail miserably. While it may seem impossible for some to achieve the American Dream, those who live their lives to the fullest may one day realize that their dreams are closer than they could have ever imagined.

Favorite Answer

Try this:

In the "The Great Gatsby," the main theme is the corruption of the American dream. To achieve the American Dream, one must be content with every aspect of his or her life. One must be honest and have good morals. Throughout "The Great Gatsby," there are many characters that try to achieve the American dream, but they all, in one way or another, fail miserably.

I deleted your last sentence because I can imagine your English teacher saying, "That's moralizing!" I also don't think it is a theme of "The Great Gatsby." A better theme might be, "those who are too ambitious might fail." It is only by setting more reasonable goals that the characters would have a better chance of reaching their goals and being contented and happy. "The Great Gatsby" is about unhappy rich people, the sordid things that exist behind the gold and gilt facade. By all rights, these rich people should be able to find happiness, but they mess up their lives just like everyone else does, and their money can't buy them happiness.