The impossible question.....(ON HARVARD ENTRANCE EXAM)?

Jill and Bob have been married 9 years. Bob's brother Duane is 2 years older than his youngest sibling. Jill and Duane both graduated from high school in 1977. Bob's mother was born in 1959 and had all three of her kids before she was 28, the third being born when her husband was 29. Jill's parents Sue and Chris are both the same age, and only Chris was divorced once when he was 24. Chris's ex wife Janis is 3 years older than him, and died the day of Bob and Jill's wedding, sharing the same birtday of Duane. Bob's oldest brother was born during John F Kennedys presidentail term, on a year ending in an even number. If Jack, Jill's brother, is 3 years older than the number of years Bob's parents have been married, and Bob's oldest sister is 31, then how old is Sue?

LOL - You're all missing it!

READ THIS QUESTION CAREFULLY

Remeber this is for entrance into an Ivy leauge school, you have to use your brain!

Favorite Answer

This looks like a real brain strainer.....but i`m going to give it a go......i will send the answer within the next 30 mins (i think)

since I am not American I don't know when John F Kennedy had his presidentail term, hope this ain't gonna stop me.

I am assuming that people can have children before they are married, they do here in the UK anyway, I don't know whether this fact is relevant or not yet.

I have come to the conclusion that the answer here is down to the facts that Chris and Sue are the same age, and Chris is Jills parent who graduated in 1977, it would help if I knew how old someone is when they graduate, but since I am British, for now I will assume people graduate at age 16 (thats the time people here take their O levels)

Sue is at least 24, but I ain't got an upper age limit for her yet.

Assuming graduation happens at 16 this would make Jill 46 (born in 1961) and because Chris is Jills parent and Chris and Sue are same ages, it means because people cant have children under the age of about 15 that Sue must be at least 61 (so this is now the lower limit for her age).

I just found out that John F Kennedy was president between 1961 and 1963, wonder if this will help?

So Bobs mother was born in 1959 and yet Bobs oldest brother was born in 1962, this is strange, nobody can be a mother at the age of 3, it`s not possible

Harvard Entrance Exam

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Jill and Bob have been married 9 years. Bob's brother Duane is 2 years older than his youngest sibling. Jill and Duane both graduated from high school in 1977. Bob's mother was born in 1959 and had all three of her kids before she was 28, the third being born when her husband was 29....

Source(s): impossible question harvard entrance exam: https://biturl.im/oFNZy

This question IS IMPOSSIBLE TO ANSWER. I come up with: Bob's mother was born in 1959 and had all three of her kids, Bob, Duane, and a sister, before 1987. If Duane and Jill graduated in 1977 then they were born in 1959 (which is the same as Duane's mom - IMPOSSIBILITY). It does not tell us whether Bob is the oldest or not. If Bob's sister is 31, she was born before 1976. So, we know that Duane is older than Bob's sister, but we have no idea how long Bob's parents have been married. Sue is the same age as Chris, which is also impossible to figure out with the information given!

Unless we look at it this way. Duane was born in either 1959 or 1960 (he graduated in 1977 at 17 or 18 years old), he shared a birthday with Janis who is 3 years older than Chris, which would put him born in 1962 or 1963, which would be the same for Sue. Which would make Sue 44 or 45 years old.

How is that?

peace ♥ happiness

ok so i just found a different version of the same question so im wondering which one is right?

here it is..

Jill and Bob have been married 9 years. Bob's brother Duane is 2 years older than his youngest sibling. Jill and Duane both graduated from high school in 1977. Bob's mother was born in 1959 and had all three of her kids before she was 28, the third being born when her husband was 29. Jill's parents Sue and Chris are both the same age, and only Chris was divorced once when he was 24. Chris's ex wife Janis is 3 years older than him, and died the day of Bob and Jill's wedding, sharing the same birtday of Duane. Bob's oldest brother was born during John F Kennedys presidentail term, on a year ending in an even number. If Jack, Jill's brother, is 3 years older than the number of years Bob's parents have been married, and Chris is 47, then how old is Sue?

Sue would be 47 because she is the same age as chris.. on this one the answer is there in the question, but on yours it really is impossible to figure out.. could u please tell us where u got this question from? it was a lot of fun.. thanks

Let me get this straight... According to your problem, Bob's mother was born in 1959. She has 3 kids (Bob, Duane, and a daughter). Her son Duane was born when she was only 3 years old (Kennedy took office in 1961 and was killed in 1963, so 1962 would be the birth year) and graduated highs school at the age of 15, while his mother was only 18.

Let's stop here before the madness gets any more confusing.

Something doesn't add up.

Are you sure you have all the years and names in the right places?

Anyhow, the only mention of Sue's age is that she was AT LEAST 24 when she got married (she is the same age as her husband, who was diviorced at 24) and she is old enough that her daughter graduated high school 30 years ago.

Why do you ask the same question twice? The other question has an answer of 47.

sue is the same age as chris and chris is 3 years younger than duane, duane was born in 1959

so sue was born 1962, making sue older than her daughter jill.

answer: Sue is not Jills mother and Chris likes younger women

you are an idiot.

also harvard does not have an entrance exam

This is going to take a while to figure out...so far I figured out that Bob's mother and Jill are probably the same age (at least within a year of each other). Somehow I get the feeling that Bob may have married another girl named Jill -- NOT the one that graduated high school in 1977.

I think John F. Kennedy's presidential term is just a sample date to the problem and does not really the exact date when Bob's older brother was born. I will do my best in answering this question. :)

31. Since Sue is not named in the rest of the scenario, she has to be Bob's oldest sister.