sandypandy216 asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Animal cruelty?

I bought a baby hamster from a store that I've bought hamsters from in the past and they've live very long healthy lives. I looked over this baby really really good and she was fine. very active. The next night after I got home from work she had wet-tail. (Its diarreha) Its deadly most of the time. I went back to the store and the other baby in the same cage also had it and there were a ton of flies around that weren't there the night before. My baby hamster died the second night I had her.

Do you think this qualifies as cruelty? I know wet-tail is preventable and uncalled for. I also noticed the cages weren't cleaned the day after I bought her. And I know they use to be.

Im thinking of reporting the store for animal cruelty. Will it do any good to report it?

I got my money back but that doesn't make it all better. She was a very good hamster didnt even try to bite me. I got her because my other hamster that a friend got for me, after my last one died of old age, is a psycho. She doesn't like me at all lol. She hisses at me. So I was very dissappointed when this baby that was so good died so fast. Also I did send off a letter to the corp. headquarters. Told them I wouldn't be shopping there if thats how they treat helpless little animals. The store name is Meijer.

It seems like ever since Meijer went "green", you know the energy saving features, that their pets have gone down hill. Like they don't care. Before going "green" the fish and small animals at this store were away from the drafty areas and all the busy places now their over by the veggies and cold fruit where after standing there for 10 minutes waiting for a manager I was freezing. And Petland isnt a good place to buy an animal, I've seen some very sickly dogs and cats there. Its sad we have to be so picky about where we buy our pets.

I can't afford to rescue them..goalsetter..their $8.99 each...I'm a college student I have no money to buy many. And there was at least 30 of them.

Favorite Answer

I think that is absolutely disgraceful and you should definitely report the store. It is there job to keep these animals safe and healthy and if they are not doing this then something needs to be done.

I know of a friend who reported his neighbor for animal cruelty to the RSPCA and they were grateful for the report and dealt with it in a very professional manner. I would recommend using them or your equivalent where you live.

I have never brought an animal for Meijer, but their animal crews usually aren't the best. Always notice that their aquariums always have some dead fish them. Wet tail is terrible for hamster. One thing I suggest is getting a product called Dry Tail and keeping some around always. The only store that I have seen selling it is Petland and it is available online. I always suggest using it in the hamsters water for the first week after bringing them home and after any stressful events, like a trip to the vet. I can also be used to treat wet tail and by following the directions I was able to save a dwarf hamster of mine that had wet tail.

I would say that it probably wouldn't constitute animal cruelty. Even if it did, I doubt there would be much of a penalty. My suggestion would be to never shop there ever again or at least until they cleaned up their act. By taking your business elsewhere you are sending the best signal that you refuse to support a business that treats their animals poorly. I hope that you got your money back. Believe it or not, most pet stores have policies that if the animal dies within the first few days, you can get a new one or a refund.

My brother in law used to work at a national pet store chain and he said it was very common for animals to die in store or soon after being purchased. These animals are not treated properly and don't deserve that kind of life.

• ?

Was it a privately owned pet store or a corporate owned establishment? If it is corporate report that particular store to the executives of the company (find out how via Internet). If it's a privately owned store, then yes call whatever animal cruelty agency in your town.

Yes do that whlie your on a roll I guess u could call the police don't know what they would do. If u really want to make a fuss have a boycott protest of the store have other people other then yourself boycott protest. Then maybe u will get somewhere.

i dont think it was cruelty but it was definatly neglect... i work in a pet store and when that happens the go 2 the vet right away.. you should definatly report it bec apparently the employees there arent knowledgeable of pet keeping.... go 2 www.peta.org

well.... they need 2 b reported and u need 2 try 2 do this fast!!! those poor animals rnt living... they r dieing!!!!!!!! try talking 2 the store owner 2!!! u COULD rescue some of them... gosh

• Yes,

You should report them to the SPCA!!!