Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

What is the latest version of the food pyramid?

I need the latest most updated one possible for my healthiness :}

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Lynn A
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

MyPyramid, released by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) on April 19, 2005, is an update on the ubiquitous U.S. food guide pyramid. The new icon stresses activity and moderation along with a proper mix of food groups in one's diet. As part of the MyPyramid food guidance system, consumers are asked to visit the MyPyramid website for personalized nutrition information. Significant changes from the previous food pyramid include:

It measures quantities in cups and ounces instead of "servings".

It includes a new symbol - a person on the stairs, representing physical activity.

MyPyramid contains eight divisions. From left to right on the pyramid are six food groups:

Grains, recommending that at least half of grains consumed be as whole grains

Vegetables, emphasizing dark green vegetables, orange vegetables, and dry beans and peas

Fruits, emphasizing variety and deemphasizing fruit juices

Oils, recommending fish, nut, and vegetables sources

Milk, a category that includes other dairy products

Meat and beans, emphasizing low-fat and lean meats such as fish as well as more beans, peas, nuts, and seeds

There are two other categories:

Physical activity, represented by a person climbing steps on the pyramid, with at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity per day recommended (and in some cases 60 or 90 minutes)

Discretionary calories, represented by the uncolored tip of the pyramid, including items such as candy, alcohol, or additional food from any other group.

• 1 decade ago

remember nutritional needs haven't changed much in the last 1000 years so i doubt updates every year are earth shattering

i'd recommend using the canadian food rainbow instead.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/in...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.