wer irish ppl treated bad wen they came 2 america?

cos wen my grandad came ova 2 live in the uk(London) he was treated reli badly like there wer signs on pubs n thing sayin no dogs no black n no irish also

he it was reli hard finding any wer 2 live both of my granddad wer sleepin on the street 4 a lil while as well n getting a job cos of his accent n alot of ppl wer jus reli horrible 2 him n alot of toher stuff aswell

so i was jus wondering if it was the same 4 irish ppl in America thanxx

Update:

both my granddads wer 16 wen they came 2 london wen they eventually did get jobs they wer treated diffrently than other english ppl so now my nan n both grandads not reli like English ppl n my family in Ireland hate English ppl if i say im english they go mad lol r irish ppl still looked down on now? thanxx

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

when the irish came here they were worth LESS THEN BLACK SLAVES......when they were building the canal over 10,000 died from diseases, but the white slave owners wouldn't use their slaves brcause they could get money for them.......that's a fact.........PS did you know during WWII the irish would re-fuel german bombers on their way to bomb the brits.......that's a fact.......tell the brits we said hi

Source(s): OUT OF IRELAND
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, there was prejudice against the Irish. It wasn't unusual to see Help Wanted signs with the statement No Irish Need Apply. Sad but true.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, they were treated as a lower class of people because of stereotypes of the time. Some Irish immigrants even changed their surnames, in hopes that people would not chastise them for their heritage.

• 1 decade ago

Well, it's a fact that many Brits don't like the Irish, particularly the English. I think they were treated quite all-right; sure they had a rough time at the beginning but that's how it was for everybody who was an immigrant and I'd dare say for everybody in general.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Acually it was worse for the Irish than just about any race. They were considered the lowest of the low. So were Italians. The blacks weren;t the only ones spit on.

• tant
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

The Irish Posed a threat to a great form of peope via fact they already spoke english whilst they got here to this u . s .. They have been additionally hardworking and clever. the a number of maltreatment became via their faith.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

alot of Irish people lived in poverty.

• 1 decade ago

anybody that was not Anglo Saxon has had some kind of prejudice directed at them.

• 1 decade ago

Irish people are american ancestors.

• no one
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

yes, it's true...

(and Jiveman's statement is appallingly racist - should I suggest that all black people smoke weed??)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.