katiekcat5 asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

What is the likeliness of my friend's guinea pig getting pegnant... see more info below...!?

Ok well my friend recently got a male 4 week old guinea pig from the shelter. She placed them in her cage with her 3 female guinea pigs... What are the chances of them getting pregnant? I told her its very possible... I told her not to, but she wants to and theres nothing I could do about it. she had them all together for over 72 hours... She told me all he was doing was dragging his butt, and she didn't see any humping... then again, she works 9 hours a day.

excuse my spelling... I have stuff cooking...

No... it means like they are scenting the cage... like a scent marking type of thing... like how cats spray and dogs lift their legs, dragging butt=guinea pig marking.

I told her all of that stuff too, about the quarentining...

Favorite Answer

Probably a 100/96% Chance they will have babies. It's usually very probable (I know, math!) and they probably will have babies. Please tell your friend that if the pigs have babies, that she should only sell the babies to people she knows and trusts to have an animal. If it doesn't go to the right person, animal abuse and abandonment. Maybe you should consider buying one of her babies!

First off he should have been in isolation from the other's for two weeks to insure he was not contagiose with something that could now be infecting all three girls. It's also very possible that at least one of the girls is already pregnant. Males become active and very able at three weeks of age. once he hit's six weeks then there is no way he wont get at least one pregnant. also does she realize that if more than ones pregnant they will need to be in separate cages as one having babies may set the other off and if to early you could end up with both babies and mum dieing. and if he's still in the cage the female is most in heat during the hour after giving birth. this would be very unfair on the mother to be pregnant and feeding.

Source(s): Mum of many pigg's

Show her the links below and tell her to separate them immediately. Breeding guinea pigs--especially three at once (!!) isn't something you can take lightly (and according to one page, there's a 20% chance of the sow dying).

http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

http://www.diddly-di.fsnet.co.uk/breeding.htm

...Of course, there's already a very good chance that one or more is pregnant, so she should read up on that as well (the second link should have some good info).

It sounds like she isn't being a very responsible piggie owner =[.

It is very very likely that the guinea pig to become pregnant! When I was growing up I had guinea pigs and it seemed like they were always having babies! Hope she ready for lots of them!

It may seem a great idea but what does your friend intend to do with all these babies? does she not think that there are enough crowded rescue centres without her adding to them?Also she may not be aware that after the ten week pregnancy a gp can get pregnant again the minute after she has given birth. If she cares about them she will not put them under the constant stress of a males insistance to mate and the danger of older sows not surviving. please try to talk with her again.

Oh my, you should show her this, it is very likely all sows are pregnant and if they are older than they can very easily get ill during the pregnancy which can be very fatal. She needs to seperate them and be prepared and start looking for homes, she should have been more responsible. Tell her to read this and start reading on websites about guinea pig pregnancy, if they are older than 8 monthes it is very possible they could be in danger, please inform her to start reading and learnung now. Have her read this, take care,

Natalie

Well it might be likely, it depends on if the guinea pigs are in season, ya know?

But if it's dragging it's butt, doesn't it mean that it has worms or something??

yeah i got some pigs. and yeah thell get pregnant. unless theres something wrong with him. low sperm count

85 % or so.