Can a neighbor throw tree branches into my yard if they are from my tree?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I have a large maple tree in my yard and some of the branches hang over my neighbor's yard. Recent storms have caused small branches to fall into their yard. I caught the ...show more
Best Answer
  • Opal answered 7 years ago
Check with your city council on what the local rules are. Regardless, this neighbor was rude to just toss the branches over. They should have checked the ordinance themselves, and if you're responsible, it would have been polite for them to inform you, then respectfully ask where they can leave your branches.
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (12)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • eskie lover answered 7 years ago
    Well in my area it doesn't matter who "owns" the tree or whose yard it is in. If the branches hang over into my yard, I am responsible for keeping them trimmed and disposing of the waste. You can find out what the ordinances are in your city by looking at their website under code enforcement. Sorry your neighbors are kinda jerks, they could have handled the situation in a much more neighborly fashion.
    • 2
    • Comment (1)
  • TriSec answered 7 years ago
    they must be a joy to have as neighbors. Thank God both my neighbors are cool!
    • 1
    • Comment
  • kathi1vee answered 7 years ago
    Yes, unfortunately they can. Could you trim the dead branches from your tree so they don't fall into the neighbor's yard? That would be a big help to them, and neighborly as well. If the branches are from your tree, it is your responsibility to make sure the branches don't become a burden to them, and to assure that they don't take you to court and FORCE you to trim it all the way back to the property line. You don't want that, do you?
    • 1
    • Comment
  • ArmyWife233 answered 7 years ago
    Wow, I bet that's annoying! They cannot expect for tree branches to not end up in their yard. And storms happen. Do they really expect for you to run out and put up a canopy or something to keep their yard debris free? They are being rather ignorant in my opinion.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • cherry babe answered 7 years ago
    unfortunately they can be nasty sometimes.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • MR. T. answered 7 years ago
    Your Tree, your responsible, also note
    If your tree need trimming you better take care of it, because if it falls on your neighbors house or property, your financially responsible.
    My neighbor throws pine cones from my tree back into my yard all the time, and I return the favor with their mulberry tree.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • enord answered 7 years ago
    n o
    branches fell as act of god & they are his
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Nefertiti answered 7 years ago
    They're being really petty. What do they do in the fall when the trees loses its leaves; do they rake up the leaves and dump them in your yard?

You should contact your local government (maybe they have ordinances posted online) and find out if any law applies to your situation.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • mobildik answered 7 years ago
    They are within their rights but most likely could have handled it much better.
    I have the same issue and each year i have my tree pruned so it does not affect the neighbors yard.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • man_marathon answered 7 years ago
    your neighbor is right
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• pcbeachrat answered 7 years ago
    THIS IS ACTUALLY TRUE..NO BULL

In some counties within the usa..you can actually be charged with theft when you trim a neighbors tree and dispose of the foilage yourself..especially any nut or fruit tree..or a tree that the wood is good for fireplaces bbq's etc...Check with your local code enforcement concerning this matter..I've seen some say that they SHOULD throw the cut limbs into the owner of the trees property..and some counties say you can cut them but must dispose of the foilage yourself...

Source(s):

The limbs are actually yours..and they shouldn't have to load thier trash up or pay for the removal..I have also seen counties where a neighbor cut anothers limb, and had to pay to dispose of them and billed the owner of the tree..and this usually ends up in small claims court..
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • ? answered 7 years ago
    If it is your tree, they are your branches.
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock