Funding an accelerated nursing (BSN) degree?

I am interested in nursing as a second career. I already work in a hospital and I love the environment and I love working with patients. Switching to nursing would also mean a big jump in my salary.

As I already have a BA and will soon have an MA in another field, I am interested in an accelerated BSN degree. These usually take 14 months.

Because I owe so much for school already I really do not want to borrow any more. What are the options for getting an accelerated degree funded? Do schools offer full scholarships? Are there future employers who will pay back all of my loans since there is a shortage of nurses?

How can I find out about my financial options? I paid a lot for my Master's and don't want to make the same mistake again.

Favorite Answer

Speak to the financial aid office staff at your school. Also, there are programs that will forgive student loans for nursing programs if you commit to working in an underserved area (for instance, a rural hospital).

I think you should investigate your current employer and see if tuition reimbursement is one of your benefits. Many places also will pay for nursing because it is a critical shortage everywhere. Do some searches on the internet for your geographical area.