Who's a good jazz bassist?

I'm taking a break from rock for a bit. Who are some very very good bassists who are very good at jazz?

Oh and if you were just wondering, I listen to classic rock. Not the crap today they calls rock music.

Favorite Answer

My dad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo60Z0kRT4o

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6P0pQT10Lw

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m66IMY_IERY

Youtube thumbnail

Jaco Pastorious is the best

Stanley Clarke

Charles Mingus

Marcus miller

christian mcbride

paul chambers

avishai cohen

brian bromberg

richard bona

dave holland

ray brown

ron carter

If you didn't know Fleas influence is jazz so you can still listen to rock like their songs Hump d Bump, Rollercoaster, Higher Ground...also look for Incubus old songs like Hilikus and Azwethinkweiz which are funky and have jazz styled bass lines.

Source(s): my dad

Dave Holland, Charles Mingus, Ray Brown, Major Holly Jr., Willie Dixon (blues), Flavio Ciancariallo (sp?), Ron Carter, Reggie Garrison, Slam Stewart, Niels-Henig Orsted Pedersen, Charlie Haden to mention a few. I stuck to upright bass players.

Millions of electric bassists so I'll let others handle that.

• Teaim

My favorite bass player, at the moment, is Richard Davis. He is the most creative bassist I have heard. I suggest that you hear him on the Booker Ervin albums called the Freedom Book and The Space Book. He is really great on those albums, in my opinion.

PS-This music is a good break from rock. Most rock is kind of boring compare to it. Again, my little opinion.

Charles Mingus is an somewhat influential jazz bass participant and his stuff is comparatively straightforward. reliable place to start is the track greater perfect Get It on your Soul - in case you could cope with the extraordinary time signature. Paul Chambers is properly worth finding out too, particularly his fiddling with Miles Davis on style of Blue. returned, particularly straightforward stuff (by using jazz standards) and interior the draw close of a learner. reliable success Paul

• KatGuy

If you're asking for famous people, here are some: Charlie Haden, Scott LaFaro, and Ron Carter.

Off the top of my head, Eddie Gomez , Charles Mingus. If you are talking electric .... Darryl Jones did a lot of jazz/fusion

Milt Hinton.

for double bass : Ron Carter,Ray Brown, Neils Orsted-Pederson (not sure if I spelt his name right ; they usually just called him NOP)

for bass guitar : Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten

• Mingus, I agree...Stanley Clark too

Jim Kale of the Canadian band, The Guess Who .