Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Masters in Environmental Engineering without Bachelors?

Hi everyone,

I am an undergraduate majoring in a liberal arts major. I had an epiphany about my future career and would like to pursue a masters in environmental engineering. The problem is I do not have an undergrad engineering major and I have not taken most of the prerequisite engineering courses.

Are there any masters programs in env. eng. or civil eng. that allow students to take prerequisite engineering courses before getting the masters? I strongly do not want to repeat 4 more years of undergrad since I have no need to take all the useless electives. Maybe there is some kind of ABET accredited certificate program?

Favorite Answer

Sorry to tell you this but if you want to pursue a masters in environmental engineering, you'll need to change majors so you can earn a bachelors engineering degree which may require a couple extra years of study. Any engineering masters degree program will require that you have a engineering bachelors degree. You won't have to retake elective classes (english, history etc) but you will need the full gamut of engineering classes (fluid dynamics, various chemistry classes, circuits, physics, differential equations, calculus, thermodynamics, etc). Masters degree level engineering requires that you understand basic engineering topics so you can build on that information.

If you are interested in environmental work, you might look into an environmental studies program. Those programs tend to be less engineering and more general science mixed with environmental topics and issues.

Source(s): I have a bachelors in chemical engineering and a masters in environmental engineering.

Yes, it's possible. However going from economics to engineering would be odd, and you may find yourself starting out way behind your classmates. Most engineering grad students are coming in with engineering degrees, or sometimes math or science degrees, and already have a strong background in math and science, as well as engineering courses. The typical environmental engineering bachelors would include 3-4 Calculus courses, physics, 2-3 chemistry courses, economics (lucky you), statistics, mechanics, and several courses specific to aspects of civil and environmental engineering. That's your competition. If you don't have a math/science background you may not get admitted, and also may end up spending your first year in remedial courses if you are admitted. Not to discourage you. It would be useful to contact the environmental engineering department at any colleges you are considering, and explain your situation, and find out what they would recommend.