5 speed transmission for Big Block?

What 5 speed gm transmission do i need for a 496ci big block Chevy in a muscle truck ?

to handle 800+ RWHP

Favorite Answer

I own a shop, a race car & truck, and build engines, transmissions, and differentials. I race at the drag strip every week, and see what the others & I run in our vehicles. It really depends on what one is going to do with the vehicle. 800 hp. is a lot of power, and to be honest one will need something a bit stronger than the stock kind of 5 speed in it. If one should race this vehicle, then a Richmond would be the way to go. One can expect to fork out about $1,900.00 for one though.

That engine would make far too much torque for any standard GM transmission. The Richmond has a 1.1:1 ratio 5th gear, so it should do pretty good on the street with fuel mileage.

Glad to help out, good Luck!!!

Source(s): Certified Master Mechanic, Shop Owner, 40 yrs. experience.

Muscle truck??? And how do you know it puts out 800 HP? Try Richmond.

THERE ARE A LOT OF RACERS THAT ARE USING THE 700R4 TRANSMISSION FOR THIS APPLICATION AND IT IS WORKING OUT VERY WELL.

I KNOW THAT YOU WANT A 5 SPEED BUT THESE TRANSMISSION WHEN BUILT CORRECTLY WITH RACING PARTS ARE BULLETPROOF.

Source(s): 923

youd be better off getting a th400 built for it than trying to mess with a stick. the 700r4 will never be as strong as a th400... heck the th350 is stronger than the 700r4, and with the th350/400 you have no computer to deal with :)