5 speed transmission for Big Block!!!?

What 5 speed gm transmission do i need for a 496ci big block Chevy in a muscle truck ?

to handle 800+ RWHP

Favorite Answer

The only stock-style 5 speed that I'd even consider would be a Tremec TKO 600 and with 800 h.p. that one would even be questionable. Other than that look at race-style manual transmissions, Richmond, Doug Nash, Liberty, Jerico, etc.

I own a shop, and do a lot of racing. I wouldn't recommend any of GM transmissions for that kind of torque. Look into a Richmond 5 speed, it can take it.

Glad to help out, Good Luck!!!

Source(s): Certified Master Mechanic, Shop Owner, 40 yrs. experience.

there are diverse RACERS that are making use of THE 700R4 TRANSMISSION FOR THIS application AND it rather is understanding ok. i understand which you desire a 5 speed yet those TRANSMISSION whilst equipped properly WITH RACING areas ARE BULLETPROOF.

I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK RUNNING THE DOUG NASH IN A BIG BLOCK VETTE..IT'S A 10.20 CAR