promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

why are sport bikes cheaper than choppers?

i compared prices and it seems that almost all sport bikes i saw were suprisingly cheap while the choppers were more expensive than an average family car

just for curiosity

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

choppers are basically a one of a kind. no 2 choppers are exactly alike. sport bikes are basically dropped out of a mold where 99.9% is exactly the same.

chopper's are a heavily customized bike. they're very unique, nothing about them is on par with typical production bikes.

if u want to see some chopped and heavily modified sportsters, go to the gallery on here: http://quadcambastards.com/index2.htm

on that site, there is NO stock sportsters. they've all been turned into choppers.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

More efficient manufacturing of sport bikes, less chrome, less "look at me" baggage. However I believe that you are speaking of cruisers, not choppers. Choppers are by and large built by hand by independent shops, that is however until the factory chopper produced by H-D. the new Rocker C. came along.

Source(s): cycleworld.com
  • 1 decade ago

Most sport bikes (except for all-out race bikes) are mass produced in production facilities. They are produced quickly and consistently on large assembly lines. This make them more cost effective, generally more reliable, better handling, safer, and therefore more capable of the high speeds many people tend to ride on them. They are also suitable for a life of close to 100,000 miles if well cared for.

Choppers are custom-built, generally one-off bikes (though many of them are made from kits these days). Most are built slowly in small, custom fab shops, where labor is more expensive. They are built largely for looks - many of them are not as well engineered as sport bikes, because they are built/designed by semi-amatuer, non-engineers. You see a lot of these bikes breaking down on the boulevard as a result! They are great for the occasional cruise around town, but don't plan to go any distance on most!

• G B
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Unlike factory mass produced Japanese sportbikes, most or many choppers are one-off handbuilt customs usually involving many more hours. Not to mention some seriously expensive paint and chrome plating, and assorted custom/performance engine and/or drive parts. Are they worth it, probably not, the resale value is probably a fraction of the original cost.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First off, most choppers are NOT custom built. Most of them are Harley Davidsons (which are expensive anyway) or they are factory choppers (Big Dog, American Iron Horse, OCC) that are mass produced. OCC doesn't make their money off theme bikes. They have (really ugly) factory models that they sell.

Japanese bikes (sport or cruiser) are cheaper because they are made with cheap parts and they don't have the name recognition. Instead of cheap plastic, American bikes use steel and real chrome. That is also why they are heavier, too. American bikes also have very good resale value. Japanese bikes have horrible resale value.

Source(s): I built my own chopper and used to work for Harley Davidson.
  • 1 decade ago

forget all that "hand built" prattle.

there are some basic economic factors setting prices here.

1. Volume, volume, volume- the more bikes you make, the cheaper you can sell them for. the sportbike market is worldwide, selling many more bikes a year than harley-davidson

...and why do you want to sell them cheaper?

2. Competition- you have three major sportbike manufacturers in japan alone producing what is essentially the same product line.

3. Manufacturing efficiency- it is cheaper to build products in japan.

4. The value of the yen compared to the US dollar. Europeans think it is great to come on vacation in the US right now because their money buys 30% more stuff here than it is a few years ago. kind of the same thing with the yen, though it is not as good as it used to be.

• 1 decade ago

Choppers tend to be bought by righteous dudes who live the life, or middle aged men who wannabe just like them.

The second group pushes the prices up as it's this year's shiny toy for the weekend warriors (who spend the week as doctors, dentists, computer consultants etc). Shiny toys defy any logic when it comes to cost vs value.

• 1 decade ago

because choppers are for yuppies that ride once a week to "bike night"

• 1 decade ago

Advertising.

Its very expensive to buy 'image'.

Sport bikes are 'just do it', not 'look at me'

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.