What type of animation are these books, videos and tv shows called?

I've always been intrigued by the fairly simple animation (in viewing) from the late 50's and early 60's, such as Encyclopedia Brown books, and also that of The Smashing Pumpkins video, "Tonight," the beginning of the TV show, "Ghost Whisper," and the animation at the beginning of the Lemony Snicket series of unfortunate events. what types of animation is that called?

I know I may be dealing with 2 types here.

Favorite Answer

I think the main type of animation, especially in stuff like Tonight, Tonight is a based on an early form of stop animation. Instead of the more complex modeling stop animation that is used today, this was involed simply moving the basic backdrops and items between shots. This gives it a nostalgic and at the same time feeling quite surreal. If you really enjoy this sort of thing, you should watch a A Trip to the Moon, which sort of orginated (or at least popularized the style) back in the 1930s.