Josh
Lv 4
Josh asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dog has been acting restless for lack of a better term...any ideas?

He's 10.

The other night he looked restless. Didn't want to sit still. Was wandering all over the house, from room to room, like he was looking for something he couldn't find.

In a way, it reminded me of my grandmother when Alzheimer's was first setting in.

He looked like his normal happy self other than that. Tail wagging, usual smile on his face, curled tongue....looked happy as usual. Just didn't want to sit still.

At night he typically crawls into his bed, then doesn't move much until I get up in the morning, but throughout that night I'd hear him up and walking around.

By the next day he seemed to be over it.

Any ideas?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The symptoms sound like the beginnings of cognitive dysfunction syndrome, which is the dog equivalent of alzheimer's. If he hasn't been to his vet lately for a check-up, you might want to take him in, getting a geriatric blood panel as well. It'll catch any problems cropping up before they become serious.

Older dogs' health can deteriorate so quickly and if you think about it, a dog going in for a check-up once a year is like a person getting a check-up once every 7 years. That's why vets recommend twice a year checks for older dogs. Your vet can also give you advice on how to help him it progresses and what you can expect for additional symptoms.

• T S
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

My 8 yr old retriever has started behaving odd too. I'm going to take him to the vet, just to put my mind at ease. I've heard that pets can get a form of Alzheimer's. I've also heard he could have gas causing him to be uncomfortable when he's trying to sleep. Also, the gas could mean his usual dog-food no longer meets his needs as an "aging" dog. If the vet enlightens me, I'll pass it along.

• 1 decade ago

Dogs and cats do get Alzheimer, and yours maybe going through it. I had a dog that was with me since I was 7, I finally put him down when he was 19 and I don't think he even knew who I was.

If your dog continues to act like this I suggest taking him to a vet and getting him looked at.

• BOOM
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

That could be any number of things. If the behavior persists, call your vet just to be sure.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe he could smell another animal that was nearby, somewhere outside? Or a storm coming?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sounds kind of odd but it's possible that your dog has anxiety.My aunt's dog does and he can never be still.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.