if i use an external hard disk ,will it increase the disk space on my c-drive?

Favorite Answer

no, it'll add a new drive on your my computer

SHORT TERM: NO WITHOUT CHANGING SETTINGS. This will create a new drive. It will appear in my computer under a new drive letter. This will be like a big floppy disk that you poweroff and uplug.

Why did you upgrade the HD?

If you have an old computer w/ 10g or less

I would suggest that you purchase a new internet hard drive. This is 2 wires and a few screws to replace inside and then reinstall windows. (Or have a tech savvy friend help you)

If you have a newer computer and want more room on c:\ and dont care about speeding it up in the process.

Purchase an internal or external hard drive. Bigger is better (7.2K or 10k rpm speed though either way).

If you have a NEW computer with 100g already but want a HUGE drive and know what you are doing. These steps will expand the c:\

CAUTION !!!!!! READ M$ INFO ON SOURCE LINK!

ONLY IF YOU HAVE XP PRO OR WIN2000

run > compmgmt.msc

disk management

and create yourself a new spanned dynamic disk with both drives.

use the microsoft link i sent you for more info

THIS WILL MERGE THE TWO DISKS. MANY PROBLEMS CAN OCCUR FROM THIS. I would suggest that you just partition the new drive and use it for storage. If they are both large and fast then i would go ahead and span them.

it sounds like you have a small c drive.

By getting an external drive you will not increase the disk space on C...but if you transfer everything except the windows files etc...you will have a lot more room on C and it the computer will run quicker.

A possible solution to the slow C drive is changing its location...meaning instead of buying an external buy a bigger internal drive and make that your new C drive. You can install windows on the bigger one and start over.

let me know if you need any more help :)

I think you mean that you need more hard drive space. The C drive on windows is just the name of the partition that windows is on. you could buy an external hard drive and hook it up to your computer via usb port. the computer will recognize it as a mounted disk and you can save files onto it just as you would your regular hard drive, a thumb drive, or burn data to a cd-r

no, your c drive is a separate drive that has a set amount of space, and that cant be changed, unless you replace the c drive with a new hard drive. if u use an external hard disk that will be completely different drive with its own space

Another External hard disk added,will act as a new HDD with its own space[memory].

external hard disk won't do any thing as increasing your c drives' space

Your total available disk space for use would be increased. However, Windows can still count on its own volume for storing important information.

• sim

no.. external hard drives may be used to store data only.. just like ur d,e or other drives...

u can increase space for ur c drive only by formatting ur disk and then re-partitioning..

Only if you transfer files from your C: drive to the external hard drive.

hi.when you connect an external HDD to your machine,it will be create a new drive.your C drive will not increase.

for example : you have drive C , D , E , F.when you connect External Disk it will be drive G.

Source(s): my own knowledge.

no. you will get the space of a new drive, not in c drive