Does Emanuel Steward still think Kelly Pavlik is just an average fighter?

I bet Bernard Hopkins and Winky Wright are laughing their balls off right now.

Favorite Answer

Emanuel isn't stupid. It was mind games. They will have a better game plan for the rematch but a game plan isn't any good if Pavlik hits you square. BOX Taylor, BOX! Don't bring a feather to a hammer fight.

As for Wright and Hopkins, would YOU be laughing if the guy who beat you got knocked out by someone you probably have to fight. I doubt it.

If Emanuel really believes that he should stay in the commentator arena. Manny knew his fighter was in trouble from jump street!! Kelly is for real. SO, if Pavlik is just average, Taylor is below average.

I had Taylor ahead in the fight when Pavlik ended it, and Taylor was on his way to a decision victory. It ended well, and both fighters deserve props for a good action packed fight. I would like to see how Pavlik matches up against Wink and Hopkins. I think Pavlik would take Wink, but lose to Bernard. If Pavlik is still champ after the rematch with Taylor, look for him to fight Winky next unless Golden Boy offers Pavlik a ton of money to fight Bernard. Great night for boxing, I enjoyed seeing everything Larry Merchant said come to pass, as usual, like him or hate him, Larry proved he is the best boxing analyst in boxing again.

It would be a huge mistake for Pavlik to rush into a fight with the winner of Calzaghe/Kessler, Kelly should take a few money fights with the name middleweights before moving up to 168. In any event the sky is the limit for the kid from Youngstown, he earned a thumbs up from the blogbaba tonight and showed the heart of a champion.

• mrkeef

Pavlik pressed the issue tonight and Taylor had no answer. I could not believe that the judges had Taylor ahead by 3,3 & 4 at the time of the stoppage. Taylor's defense needs to improve if the rematch is going to go any different!!!

I hope he takes Pavlik more seriously now.

I like Steward but he is odd. He loves him some "Hook and Hold" Ricky Hatton. I think Hatton is good and energetic but cmon. His style can be boring with all the damn clinching.

Steward should give The Ghost his respect now.

I don`t think he ever thought Pavlik was average. Emmanuel Steward saw chinks in Taylor`s armor and probably figured the best course of action would be to have his fighter be the aggressor and try to jump his opponent early in the fight. Taylor showed alot of class in defeat while Pavlik handled victory like a true gentleman.

Shows how much you know cause i don't think hopkins & wright are laughing...I think their pissed cause they got robbed and couldn't do what pavlik could...I'm wondering why steward didn't tell taylor to keep his hands up while he was getting hit with bombs earlier on....All he said he apply more pressure he's fading....Taylor needs to drop him seriously.....he's too damn old....

like i said taylor is not the impressive he shouuld have lost to winky and hopkins but oh well Y-towns pride beats him which is better. anyway emanuel talked to kelly after the fight (he probably said hell of a fight CALL ME) lol. kelly is a true warrior to survive the beating in the second round and continue to boxed( he is a real man)

History has shown that the judges always favor Taylor, even when he is losing. Steward just made those statements because he was worried about losing this one, and wanted to help psychologically. He has never done that before.

Source(s): Blogbaba - what were you watching? Taylor won rd 2 of course, and then barely round 5. Pavlik won the rest. it was becoming more and more evident that Pavliks power was breaking Jermain down. His jab was twice as stiff. Many of Taylor's punches were being blocked by Pavlik. Once Pavlik caught him with one good solid right, it was over! Writersblock should be named mental block! Taylor fought his best fight ever. Steward only made those comments about Pavlik because he was very worried about losing and was looking for any edge he could get. He has never done that before, and I hope he never lowers himself again.
  • James

i think he was saying that to really downplay kellys talent to make taylor feel more comfortable about the fight. i think he was worried all along and tried making his fighter gather confidence. i had kelly up by 1 rnd going into the 7th. what the fook is with the judges?