can someone tell me the ranks of ww2 in order? like Pvt. PFC plz do abbreviations?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Private (Pvt.)

Private First Class (1 stripe) (PFC)

Corporal (2 stripes)(Cpl.)

Sergeant (3 stripes)(Sgt.)

1st lieutenant (1 gold bar)(Lt.)

2nd lieutenant (1 silver bar) (Lt.)

Captain (2 silver bars) (Capt.)

Major (gold oak leaf cluster) (Maj.)

Lieutenant Colonel (silver oak leaf cluster) (Lt. Col.)

Colonel (eagle) (Col.)

Brigadier General (1 gold star) (Br. Gen.)

Major General (2 gold stars) (Maj. Gen)

Lieutenant General (3 gold stars) (Lt. Gen.)

General (4 gold stars) (Gen.)

General of the Army (5 gold stars)

There are various ratings in the rank of sergeant, Master Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Technical Sergeant, etc. I'm not sure about the stripes on the various ratings except Sergeant Major, that's 3 stripes with the points pointing to the shoulder, and three stripes underneath.

I've never seen an abbreviation of a 5 star general's rank, there aren't many. During WWII we only had Ike and MacArthur.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I know you are probably only after US ranks but I thought British ranks may interest you too.

Other Ranks and Non-Commissioned Officers (NCO's) (rank insignia on arm)

Private (Pte.) No insignia

Lance Corporal (L/Cpl.) One stripe

Corporal (Cpl.) Two stripes

Sergeant (Sgt.) Three stripes

Colour Sergeant (C/Sgt.) (in some regiments known as Staff Sergeant (S/Sgt.) Three stripes with crown above

Warrant Officer class 2 (WO2) aka Company Sergeant Major (CSM) Large crown on right cuff

Warrant Officer class 1 (WO1) aka Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) British coat of arms on right cuff

Commissioned Officers (rank insignia on shoulder)

2nd Lieutenant (2Lt.) One pip (the four-pointed star of The Order of Bath)(pronounced Lef-tenant as opposed to Loo-tenant

Lieutenant (Lt.) Two pips

Captain (Capt.) Three pips

Major (Maj.) Crown

Lieutenant Colonel (Lt/Col.) Crown and pip

Colonel (Col.) Crown and two pips

Brigadier (Brig.) Crown and three pips

Major General (Maj.Gen.) Crossed swords and pip

Lieutenant General (Lt.Gen.) Crossed swords and crown

General (Gen) Crossed swords crown and pip

Field Marshall (FM) Laurel wreath with central crossed cannon with crown above.

The last four (Maj.Gen., Lt.Gen., Gen and FM) we term as one star, two star, three star & four star Generals respectively though they do not carry stars as insignia.

The above are infantry ranks there are some regimental differences;

Royal Engineers;

Private = Sapper (Spr.)

Royal Regiment of Artillery;

Private = Gunner (Gnr.)

Lance Corporal = Lance Bombadier (L/Bdr.)

Corporal = Bombadier (Bdr.)

Cavalry Regiments;

Private = Trooper (Tpr)

And the Household Cavalry (the ones in shiny armour that guard the Royal Household) ranks consist of a completely different rank structure that most of the rest of the Army fail to comprehend!

The Commisioned Officers ranks are always the same right across the Army except for 2Lt is known as 'Cornet' in some Cavalry regiments.

British Army ranks have changed through history but the present ranks are as WWII. Although maybe not of use, I hope this is of some interest.

Incidentally American GIs wear their stripes upside down with the points pointing to the shoulder whereas us Brits wear them in the correct fashion - with the points pointing to our hands!! :0)

Source(s): Former British Soldier
  • 1 decade ago

www.historychannel.com

AND if you are in the military....THANK YOU! God bless you! Be safe!

Source(s): www.historychannel.com :o)
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.