Seanyy asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

Question about cervical cancer?

i just got the shot (one less! :P) and i understand what and where the cervics is, but how do you get cervical cancer? do you get cervical cancer from having sex? if so then why did i get this shot at thirteen?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Gardasil is a new vaccine being made by Merck & Co., Inc. and which has been approved by the FDA to prevent cervical cancer in females between the ages of 9 and 26 years of age.

Gardasil is a vaccine against the HPV or Human Papillomavirus. The Gardasil vaccine protects recipients against 4 types of HPV, including the two types that cause most cervical cancers and the two types that cause the most genital warts.

• 1 decade ago

GOOD FOR YOU!!! The Gardasil vaccine is being touted as the BEST thing to guard against cervical cancer. The reason you GET cervical cancer is from multiple sex partners. This causes you to be at risk to get the Human Papilloma Virus, HPV for short. This shows up as genital warts and then can turn into Low Grade Squamous Cell intra-epithelial Lesions (LSIL) then CIN I, II, III. Cervical intra-epithelial neoplasia is not bad, but in the second stage they call it precancerous, by the third stage it invades the entire epithelium and it has nowhere to go but become cancer. That is why if you are sexually active you should have an annual pap smear. See you Gynocologist regularly. Unlike (Vulvar cancers) VIN I, II, III, it is not visible so you may never know if you are suffering from it.

Oh, by the way, the Gardasil vaccine only guards against FOUR of the THOUSANDS of HPV strains out there, but they are the most common variety. It doesn't mean that you will be free of Genital warts, just that you won't get those four.

• 4 years ago

Yes, definitely. Treating the infected cells does not remove the virus, just like blowing your nose when you have a cold does not get the cold virus out of your body. HPV has a life span of 9 months to two years, so if it has been two years or less since he left her, you could have HPV. Just be sure you stay up to date on your paps so that you can catch any abnormal cervical cells sooner rather than later. And don't worry too much; just because the virus reacted and caused abnormal cells for her does not mean it will for you.

• 1 decade ago

Sometimes cervical cancer is caused by HPV, human papilloma virus. It is a STD. The reason you got it at 13 is that you hopefully aren't sexually active yet to prevent you from getting HPV once you are sexually active.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.