Why do the Japanese deny the war crimes they committed in the thirties and forties?

Many outside history books show the Japanese to have committed atrocities in Asia but when you question a Japanese citizen about what happened they reply: What war - what crimes – what slaughters

Best Answer

Shame (losing face) is a major part of the oriental psyche. No one likes to admit a mistake, much less a heinous crime, so it gets swept under the rug.

It's not talked about and it is not taught at school so the younger generations have no idea about what happened. The people who do know about it won't admit anything for all the reasons that have already been mentioned. There is also one other possibility although I could be wrong. In some cultures it is considered that anyone who becomes a prisoner-of-war has dishonoured their family and this is worse than if they had died in war. This would make them a hero. I think this is why the Japanese treated their prisoners, especially the people at Changi so badly, because they assumed that everybody else would also be thinking that the prisoners had dishonoured their family. This could mean that they do not consider what they did to be anything wrong. Of course it could be that they just want to forget about it and hope it will be forgotten which is why they don't teach anything about it in their schools.

My great-uncle spent most of WW2 in Changi, but he doesn't talk about it. And he is the most gentle and sweetest person you could ever meet.

Yess me too I like the culture of Japan especially anime and manga but I will never forget their atrocities during ww2 especially in my country where Bataan death march happened. I think the Japanese SHOULD be taught of their atrocities(because I read that Japan education don't teach history of their wrongdoings and because ww2 is very well documented because we have cameras and photos back then) so they don't repeat the past especially today the govt of japan is becoming a right wing fascist

I live in Japan and I can tell you that people here, in particular the youth aren't much different than the youth of America. People don't take much note of historical events, especially unfavorable moments in history. It is like how a lot of American youth I have met don't know about the internment of Japanese during WW2, or the extent of the genocide that was commited upon Native American tribes. But just for the record there is no vaccuum of knoweldge regarding this subject in Japanese, if you go to the library, bookstore, or just flip to the history channel on cable tv you can find out about the atrocities that the Japanese commited. Sadly though, people in general Europeans, Americans, Japanese just don't care enough about history.

In every country, history taught in school is a combination of history and patriotism, they emphasize the good and downplay the bad. For example, in the U.S., they don't mention the Japanese internment camps. Or our history covering Indians, originally we were friends and even shared our food with them at a thanksgiving, then you skip over to those sneaky savages attacked an American hero at Little Big Horn. We don't mention about their societies, or how when we settled lands, the Indians were drove off the lands. But since it is obvious that we displaced them, we learn about Little Big Horn to say the Indians did not like us and it was for our survival.

Deny? It's not true. Japanese government apologized many times. Every schools teach Japanese war crimes. If that citizen didn't know about war, he just not studied enough or just stupid. It's same to other countries.

Life moves on and History books tend to make the people there written for look like the good guy. I suspect that if you bothered to observe , books written on american history tend to make it look like war was a cut and dried affair. But trust me it doesn't matter whos fighting it, the truth never gets in the history books. And neither side is free from blame.

Honor, they did things that would greatly aggrieve their ancestors, bringing shame on their families for generations to come, so they're in denial, because it takes a strong person to accept fault, like Virginia apologizing for slavery, clearly their not there yet, hence their shame continues.

The Japanese don't deny it and have actually apologized publicly many times.

Because they don't believe they did anything wrong even though they were evil little bastards.

N.B I emphasize 'were'. I don't wish to offend