what are some plays written by shakespeare that were made into movies?

• RLW
    Favorite Answer

The Taming of the Shrew, (1929), featuring Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford.

Romeo and Juliet, (1935). Directed by George Cukor.

A Midsummer Night's Dream, (1935). Directed by Max Reinhardt and William Dieterle.

As You Like It, (1936). Directed by Paul Czinner.

Henry V, (1945). Directed by Lawrence Olivier.

Macbeth, (1948). Directed by Orson Welles (War of the Worlds, Animal Farm, 1984).

Hamlet, (1948). Directed. by Lawrence Olivier.

Othello, (1952). Directed by Orson Welles.

Julius Caesar, (1953). Directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz.

Romeo and Juliet, (1954). Directed by Renato Castellani.

Richard III, (1955). Directed by Lawrence Olivier.

Othello, (1956). Directed by Sergei Jutkevitsh.

Forbidden Planet (based on The Tempest), (1956). Directed by Fred M. Wilcox.

Throne of Blood / The Castle of the Spider's Web / Cobweb Castle (1957), (derived from Macbeth). Directed by Akira Kurosawa.

The Tempest (1960), (TV) starring Richard Burton. Directed by George Schaefer.

Hamlet (1964), starring Richard Burton. Directed by Bill Colleran and John Gielgud.

Hamlet, (1964), directed by Grigori Kozintsev.

The Taming of the Shrew, (1967), starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. Directed by Franco Zeffirelli

Romeo and Juliet, (1968), directed by Franco Zeffirelli.

King Lear, (1970), directed by Peter Brook.

King Lear, (1970), directed by Grigori Kozintsev.

Macbeth, (1972), directed by Roman Polanski (Bitter Moon).

Antony and Cleopatra, (1974), starring Patrick Stewart and Ben Kingsley. Directed by Trevor Nunn and John Schoffield.

Comedy of Errors (1978), starring Judi Dench and Francesca Annis and directed by Philip Casson and Trevor Nunn.

Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, (1980), (BBC-TV) starring Patrick Stewart and directed by Rodney Bennett.

The Merry Wives of Windsor, (1982), (BBC-TV), starring Ben Kingsley and directed by David Hugh Jones.

The Tempest, (1982), directed by Paul Mazursky.

Ran (1985), (based on King Lear), directed by Akira Kurosawa.

King Lear, (1987), directed by Jean-Luc Godard.

Henry V, (1989), directed by Kenneth Branagh.

Romeo and Juliet, (1990), starring Francesca Annis, Vanessa Redgrave and Ben Kingsley. Directed by Armando Acosta II.

Hamlet, (1991), directed by Franco Zeffirelli.

Prospero's Books, (1991), (based on The Tempest), directed by Peter Greeneway.

As You Like It, (1992), directed by Christine Edzard.

Much Ado about Nothing, (1993), directed by Kenneth Branagh.

Othello, (1995), directed by Oliver Parker.

William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, (1996), starring Leonardo Di Caprio and Claire Danes. Directed by Baz Luhrman.

Hamlet, (1996), starring Kenneth Branagh, Richard Attenborough, Judi Dench, Billy Crystal and Kate Winslet. Directed by Kenneth Branagh.

Twelfth Night, (1996), starring Helena Bonham Carter, Nigel Hawthorne, Ben Kingsley, Imogen Stubbs and Mel Smith. Directed by Trevor Nunn.

Looking for Richard, (1996), directed by Al Pacino.

Shakespeare in Love, (1998), starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Geoffrey Rush and Judi Dench. Directed by John Madden, written by Marc Norman and Tom Stoppard. Loosely inspired by Cesario / Viola of Twelfth Night Or What You Will and Romeo and Juliet.

10 Things I Hate About You, (1999), (based on The Taming of the Shrew), starring Julia Stiles and Heather Ledge. Directed by Gil Junger.

A Midsummer’s Night's Dream, (1999), starring Calista Flockhart, Michelle Pfiffer. Directed by Michael Hoffman.

Love's Labour’s Lost, (2000), directed by Kenneth Branagh.

Hamlet 2000, starring Ethan Hawke, Julia Stiles, Kyle MacLachlan. Directed by Michael Almereyda

This list can be found at:

http://absoluteshakespeare.com/trivia/films/films....

I've seen about half of them. Some of them are exactly like the play and others are adaptations.

• Pamela

I think that it really depends on the particular book/movie. For instance, I really like Lord of the Rings movies and the books, while I think that the Harry Potter books are slightly better than the movies, especially the more recent ones (don't let me start about how the last director BUTCHERED the Order of the Phoenix!). I haven't really read most of the other books-to-movies that my friends have very strong opinions of, but from talking to others I've found that it depends a lot on which you are exposed to first. I personally think that I would like the Narnia movies better than the books if I ever read them, but I have friends who hate how different the movies are from the books. Some changes to the books are permissible in the movies, simply because it's necessary to make a reasonably short film, but changes on the order of those in the last HP movie are, to me, unforgivable. The changes in the LotR movies were done in such a way that they weren't really noticeable unless you had memorized the books, with only a couple exceptions, and I think that the changes in the book scripts added to those movies rather than detracting from them. For a specific example from those movies, the new Warg scene in the Two Towers enhanced the personal relationships between the characters and added a good action scene in the middle of what would otherwise have been a rather slow-paced section of the movie.

Romeo & Juliet

Othello

Taming of the Shrew

All's Well that Ends Well

As You Like It

Comedy of Errors

Love's Labor Lost

Merchant of Venice

Merry Wives of Windsor

Midsummer Night's Dream

Much Ado About Nothing

Tempest

Twelfth Night

Anthony and Cleopatra

Hamlet

Julius Caesar

Macbeth

King Lear

Henry IV, V, VI, VIII

Richard II, III

Timon of Athens

Troilus and Cressida

Coriolanus

Pericles

Two Gentlemen of Verona

Cymbeline

Measure for Measure

The Winter's Tale

Rachel W got it right, although "Men of Respect" with John Turturro (Macbeth) wasn't on her list (although it's so long I could have missed it). There are countless cartoons that have mimicked Romeo and Juliet, as well as America's own Hatfields and McCoys. You can ignore what I wrote below, but for the record this what at first I got directly from my head:

Every tragedy you can think of, for certain. There were also a lot of movies derived from his plays (Romeo and Juliet, ad nauseum). Without naming the movies, I'd say:

Romeo and Juliet

Macbeth (Throne of Blood; a Mafia version with james woods I think -- I'll probably revise later if someone else doesn't finish the list first)

Julius Caesar

Merchant of Venice

Taming of the Shrew (What I Hate About You, for ex.)

Antony and Cleopatra

Twelfth Night

A Midsummer Night's Dream

The Tempest

King Lear

Othello (re-enacted in life by OJ Simpson)

Hamlet

Two Gentlemen of Verona

etc, etc.

Over 420 according to Wiki, but some you might not realize are based on Shakespeare plays:

West Side Story (Romeo and Juliet)

10 Things I hate about You (Taming of the Shrew)

She's The Man (Twelfth Night)

Kiss Me Kate (Taming of the Shrew)

Romeo And Juliet, Hamlet, and I think there was a Macbeth movie.. Not sure.

Other movies about Shakespeare was the movie "Shakespeare in Love"

Midsummer Night's Dream. Fantastic both in play and in movie form.

The original romeo and juliette was alright, but the new one with Leonardo Di Caprio was such monumental shyit

I've seen Much Ado About Nothing

As You like it.

Romeo and Julliet

Twelfth Night

• velma

all of them

they made so many that they even made a movie about him writing a play.

which one wasn't made into a movie that's the question I guarantee every single one has been made into a movie, someone somewhere made even the most obscure of his plays into a movie.

Romeo & Juliet