Erdnusslöckchen asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Are Cow Hooves good for dogs?

I heard they can break the teeth (the dried ones ).

Is that true ?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Astro
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I do know that my dog got a piece of cow hoof stuck in the roof of his mouth and was difficult to remove. After that, I stopped giving them to my pets. They can also splinter and cause sharp pieces that can puncture the intestinal wall. I'd stick with non-animal treats.

Source(s): Vet Tech
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Ive heard too that they can splinter and cause choking but honestly thats very true of most edible dog treats.....ALL edible & non edible treats should only be given w supervision....if you are paying attention to what your pet is doing you will see if anything should happen....I think that in most cases these things are safe but there is alwaya a possiblyility that a very aggressive chewer could break off a small piece get int caught in his throat or choke on it OR a big enough piece that it could cause an obstruction....I think overall they are safe you just have to be aware of teh conditoin of the chew & the wear caused from chewing...supervise your pet & IM sure they will be fine...I personally dont give my pug hoofs because when they get all chewed on thye STINK like pee to me & I cant take it....BLECH!!

my Abbey loves Greenies..but w those too you have to pay attention

• 1 decade ago

I don't like them because they splinter into very sharp little shards. I don't think they are hard enough to break teeth but I guess it is possible.

I prefer American-made rawhide or compressed rawhide. Bones can crack teeth and also splinter into chunks or shards whether raw or cooked. I get oversized rawhide and throw them away when they are small enough to swallow.

Nylabones and rubber toys are ok but many dogs refuse to chew on them. I haven't found any chew that works on all dogs.

• 1 decade ago

cow hooves aren't all that great for the majority of dogs. Pig ears are awesome though, you can get them at most pet stores, Got 3 chihuahuas that go retarded for them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • drb
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Personally, I wouldn't give either cow hooves or rawhide to my dogs. I would give hem either a processed beef leg bone, or a nylabone of the right size for something to chew on.

• 5 years ago

My two Doberman x Labrador males have a hoof every day...they love them l don't they stink but are they good nutritinally? bones too are very smelly l am not so keen on them but l know they need to clean their teeth and get the goodness from the marrow.

• 4 years ago

When trimming any kind of hoof on a farm, the dogs love to chew them and it has always been thought they were good for the dogs.

LaL

• 1 decade ago

my dogs love them, 2 are yorkies and 1 is a golden retriver.

• 1 decade ago

Not sure..I always thought they were kinda nasty (chewin on cow nails..ikk..:P)but i dont think theyre bad..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.