Erdnusslöckchen asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Are Cow Hooves good for dogs?

I heard they can break the teeth (the dried ones ).

Is that true ?

• Astro
    Favorite Answer

I do know that my dog got a piece of cow hoof stuck in the roof of his mouth and was difficult to remove. After that, I stopped giving them to my pets. They can also splinter and cause sharp pieces that can puncture the intestinal wall. I'd stick with non-animal treats.

Source(s): Vet Tech
  • Ive heard too that they can splinter and cause choking but honestly thats very true of most edible dog treats.....ALL edible & non edible treats should only be given w supervision....if you are paying attention to what your pet is doing you will see if anything should happen....I think that in most cases these things are safe but there is alwaya a possiblyility that a very aggressive chewer could break off a small piece get int caught in his throat or choke on it OR a big enough piece that it could cause an obstruction....I think overall they are safe you just have to be aware of teh conditoin of the chew & the wear caused from chewing...supervise your pet & IM sure they will be fine...I personally dont give my pug hoofs because when they get all chewed on thye STINK like pee to me & I cant take it....BLECH!!

my Abbey loves Greenies..but w those too you have to pay attention

I don't like them because they splinter into very sharp little shards. I don't think they are hard enough to break teeth but I guess it is possible.

I prefer American-made rawhide or compressed rawhide. Bones can crack teeth and also splinter into chunks or shards whether raw or cooked. I get oversized rawhide and throw them away when they are small enough to swallow.

Nylabones and rubber toys are ok but many dogs refuse to chew on them. I haven't found any chew that works on all dogs.

cow hooves aren't all that great for the majority of dogs. Pig ears are awesome though, you can get them at most pet stores, Got 3 chihuahuas that go retarded for them.

• drb

Personally, I wouldn't give either cow hooves or rawhide to my dogs. I would give hem either a processed beef leg bone, or a nylabone of the right size for something to chew on.

My two Doberman x Labrador males have a hoof every day...they love them l don't they stink but are they good nutritinally? bones too are very smelly l am not so keen on them but l know they need to clean their teeth and get the goodness from the marrow.

When trimming any kind of hoof on a farm, the dogs love to chew them and it has always been thought they were good for the dogs.

LaL

my dogs love them, 2 are yorkies and 1 is a golden retriver.

Not sure..I always thought they were kinda nasty (chewin on cow nails..ikk..:P)but i dont think theyre bad..