Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

If capitalism is about competition, why are corporations getting bigger through mergers and acquisitions and..

competition being squashed by the giants of industry? Is capitalism out of control? Do we need another Teddy Roosevelt today?

Favorite Answer

Capitalism is NOT about competition. Capitalism is about money, pure and simple. The idea is to make as much money as you can by whatever means you have to resort to. If there is only one telephone company, then that company can charge whatever it wants and there is nothing you can do except not have a phone. Competition actually works to the advantage of the consumer, and since big business has already bought off all our senators and congressmen, anything that will ultimately screw the consumer is what our government will do.

Have you noticed you get much better service from your cable company over the past few years...?

Satelite TV service.

Have you noticed Blockbuster has been advertising about new and better service lately?

Netflix

Have you noticed all the fast-food outlets have adopted a "$1.00" menu?

All of these examples and many more (not to mention their creation, development and distribution) have been brought to you Via.... You guessed it!

Competition!

Now... if we could just get a chance to apply this principle to the public education system, "Johnny" might learn to read.

Vouchers!

Corporations are getting bigger and better through mergers and acquisitions because they COMPETE!

Its Capitalism that drives competition. Its Government that squashes it.

Post Script: The wonderful list of advancement brought to you via Government product development and creation..

ahhhh..... Hmmmm.

People on welfare?

Warm regards,

Douglas

Source(s): Source..? The dollar burger I'm shuvin' in my big opinionated mouth sitting on my plump arse' as I watch my satelite TV... waiting to watch my Netflix movie...
  • Boss H

The competition side of captialism is one of the many aspects of the economic system that make it more preferred. unfortunately, when the system is set up to benefit the larger businesses, what else can you expect?

Don't blame capitalism, blame the fact that neocons are all about mixing three factors in life....religion, business, and politics, three things that should never mix.

when i say mix, I'm not just talking about ethics of each.

Because losers win in competition by cheating.

Capitalism is always going to cultivate corruption and cheaters because the main goal in capitalism is PROFITS - no matter how they are gotten.

Beats me, I still can't figured out how chartered Monopolies, like the Utility Companies, can call themselves "Free Enterprise."

It's just one more of those Republican things where they pay lip service to an ideal they hate.

Economies of scale

You are correct.

I remember when Ma Bell broke up.

Now, AT&T has taken over everything, it seems. AT&T is who I pay for internet, telephone and cell.

Greed.

• Bigger profits. And no, I really don't want the government screwing with the free market, that's kind of what we had a revolution for.

Yes and double yes!