Chance S asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Does a 315lbs, 6'3", 19year old need 12 to 14 hours of sleep a night? What could be done or going wrong?

My friend has no sleeping habits to speak of. He works early mornings, 6am-12pm. He will get about 4 to 7 hours of sleep at night, but then come home and nap for 3-5 hours. I'm sure if this is needed or just needs to be corrected. He has grown in a long time, so I don't think that it is a growing spirt. He smokes and eats one meal a day (mostly). I wonder, also, if it all has to do with his weight as well. On his off days he will sleep 12-14 hours in one period of time. I need a little help!!!!!...any ideas?

Favorite Answer

i think its abnorma you should get him checked for diabetes

yes, his weight has much to do with this. and his smoking is not helping either.

There are ways to lose weight that don't involve an active "diet" as such; however, it takes self discipline.

Is he willing to lose weight: Do it in 3-4 day increments. Tell himself: I am going to watch what I eat for 3 days. Then follow a routine such as:

1. Cut out the bread and gluten products;

2. Cut out dairy unless you really need them.

3. eat fiber, green veggies,

4. cut out potatoes

5. use rice sparingly

6. eat proteins at least 1 time per day 2 better

7. never eat standing up

8. put down your fork after taking each bite and chew each bite longer

9. walk after each meal, if only for just a few steps around the office, the block etc.

10. use stairs when you can, if you can

11. don't eat if you are not hungry

12. don't stress about eating; life is too short. So what if you had an ice cream cone. The world, believe it or not, will not fall apart.

13. be kind to yourself and

14. a regular gym is best; if he can afford it.

good luck.

EVERYONE NEEDS SLEEP.

The human body needs an average sleep of 10-12 hours of sleep, the reason our body's need so much sleep is because our body is rejuvenating itself at night and is fighting infections. It also might be caused be eating little he's eating habit is very bad for he's health, the body needs food,it's best to have 3 whole meals a day, even people on diets need food don't starve your body or yourself, people on diets need 15 very small servings of food to stay in shape.

As far as his working hours," 6am-12pm ", is normal,I'm in school and I have to get up at 5am and I come home around 12 or 1pm, so that's not the problem. For your friends sake ask him to at least get 11hours of sleep also if he doesn't prefer to eat 3 meals a day, ask him 2 eat 15 small nmeals a day it ends up being 4 meals instead, strange is it not?

But you can NOT change someone,it's up to them, one way or they other he will find out. =]

Source(s): Health books/Library,My own facts,and my old school Eatonville Middle School.

At 19 I was working a full time job and was exhausted and couldn't get enough sleep. I think we keep growing until we are 21 or 22. Maybe check out the webmd.com site for more info. Is his 315 lbs mostly fat or mostly muscle? That makes a difference also. Poor nutrition would probably also make him lethargic. Also, sleeping long hours like this is a sign of depression. How is his overall health? Is he happy? I think I would make an appt with my doctor.

Both of my kids were sleeping that long when they were about that age and both are happy healthy kids. If he's not sleeping much through the day then that may be why he is sleeping so much through the night (although my kids slept good during the day as well). I have the same thoughts of you...why would anyone wake a sleeping baby at night (unless for medical reasons)? If a baby needs something they will wake up & let you know. If you are really concerned about his sleeping habits then I would just talk to his doctor about it! Hope that helps!

definitely needs to eat more. 1 meal a day, his body is starving and the 1 meal a day just doesn't cut it. It is storing the fat. Sleeping.....sleeping is healthy. Just make sure he remains active when he's not sleeping. Smoking suppresses the appetite....it's never too late to stop smoking. Physical jobs will help with weight. I too struggle...i'm 6'3, 260 lbs. Every body is different. According to the BMI, at 6'3, I should be at 190. HA!!! If he can bring himself down to my weight, he'd be doing great!

He needs to eat 3 meals a day, PERIOD, and he needs to get 7 HOURS OF SLEEP. Quitting smoking might help too.

Sounds like your friends weight problem is zapping all of his energy. He could also have sleep apnea given his size. Try getting him to exercise, or even go for a walk once a day. Also, if possible, get a sleep study done for sleep apnea. My guess is that's he's just gotten less energetic as the bigger he got. He'll feel better and sleep more regular after exercise.

• If he only eats one meal a day that slows down his metabolism and makes him gain alot of weight. They say you should sleep 8-10 hours a night on any day. I hope he dosent get diabetes cause thats what can happen. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12-14 hours is too long for anyone to sleep. that is a lot

none of that is something you can solve. People never learn by being told what to do, only by learning the hard way. Maybe he'll correct his own behavior, but if not, there's nothing you can do.