poem or speech, help....?

Can someone give me a suggestion on what poem or speech i should do for my speech class?

It can be a popular poem or speech or even if it is not popular ...

all i want is that ...

it is not long or short ... maybe 5-10 paragraphs...

our speech is considered as our final exam ..

so pls...

can someone give me a good poem or speech?

dramatic monologue and story telling are also some alternatives ...

but i am not really that good in acting ...

pls... help...

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Nice
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Here´s a suggestion from H.L.Mencken´s "The American Language" (Bradley Sculley, Richmond Croom Beatty & E.Hudson Long, eds. THE AMERICAN TRADITION IN LITERATURE. NY: Norton, 1962:1039, V. II):

This is the last paragraph (quite a long one) of his essay:

Let American confront a novel problem alongside English, and immediately its superior imaginativeness and resourcefulness become obvious. "Movie" is better than "cinema"; and the English begin to admit the fact by adopting the word; it is not only better American, it is better English. "Bill-board" is better than "hoarding". "Office-holder" is more honest, more picturesque, more thoroughly Anglo-Saxon than "public-servant". "Stem-winder" somehow has more life in it, more fancy and vividness, than the literal "keyless-watch". Turn to the terminology of "railroading" (itself, by the way, an Americanism): its creation fell upon the two peoples equally, but they tackled the job independently. The English, seeking a figure to denominate the wedge-shaped fender in front of a locomotive, called it a "plough"; the Americans, characteristically, gave it the far more pungent name of "cow-catcher". So with the casting which guides the wheels from one rail to another. The English called it a "crossing-plate"; the Americans, more responsive to the suggestion in its shape, called it a "frog". American is full of what Bret Harte called the "saber-cuts of Saxon"; it meets Montaigne's ideal of "a succulent and nervous speech, short and compact, not as much delicated and combed out as vehement and brusque, rather arbitrary than monotonous, not pedantic but soldierly, as Suetonius called Caesar's Latin." One pictures the common materials of English dumped into a pot, exotic flavorings added, and the bubblings assiduously and expectantly skimmed. What is old and respected is already in decay the moment it comes into contact with what is new and vivid. "When we Americans are through with the English language," says Mr. Dooley, "it will look as if it had been run over by a musical comedy."

[You could end your speech with something along these lines:]

Although some of the words mentioned in Mencken's essay are outdated, I am sure each one of us could add a few words to his list without changing the tone of voice. As a matter of fact, one expression that comes to mind is "baggage claim", which the British call "baggage reclaim", and obviously I cannot help asking, "if you just got off the plane, you haven't claimed your baggage yet. So why do you have to "REclaim" it?

• rysavy
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Energy? as in... placing power into your speech so men and women will wish to pay attention... or power and making plans into teamwork. OR.. EVERYONE! on the grounds that as a chief you wish to incorporate each person

• Ruby
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Read the poem "Auto Wreck" by Karl Shapiro.

• DAR76
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Tried and true, "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.