Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

Why are feminists as catty with each other as teenaged schoolgirls?

Just reading through an article at the Guardian about the authors who got some 'prominent' feminists into feminism and I saw this:

"Jessica Valenti - [...] From then on, I sought out Wolf's writing as often as I could. When her book Promiscuities was published, I saw that she would be giving a weekend seminar at a Buddhist centre where my parents occasionally took classes. I was thrilled. What I wasn't prepared for, however, was the reality of the author as a person. In a group exercise, Wolf asked us all to give a speech highlighting the things we were most proud of. I was still a teenager and didn't really have anything to talk about. When my turn came, I declined nervously. Wolf angrily told me that I would have to leave the room. It was incredibly humiliating and I actually stayed away from feminism after that. It wasn't until late in my college years that my interest resurfaced."

Hilarious. But looks like she got her revenge. I bet Naomi Wolf will feel guilty reading this eh?

Betty Friedan acted in a similar way when she wrote the second stage and dissed women like Gloria Steinem up and down for hijacking the movement for the benefit of radical feminists. Betty Friedan was then dissed as a part of the anti-feminist 'backlash' by Susan Faludi (apparently everything was backlash, but still the attack was made).

Why are feminists so catty with one another?

Tali: Sorry for offending cats by comparing them to feminists. I apologize.

Kinz: Could you please refrain from being racist in here, we've had quite enough racist comments from feminists on here that would make Elizabeth Cady Stanton roll in her supposedly more clean and higher than black men grave.

"If women are still to be represented by men, then I say let [it be] only the highest type of man.... But if all men are to vote, black and white, lettered and unlettered, washed and unwashed, the safety of the nation as well as the interests of women demand that we outweigh this incoming tide of poverty, ignorance and vice with the virtue, wealth and education of the woman of this country" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Stop racism in the feminist movement please.

Favorite Answer

Because, for them, it's developmentally appropriate.

• Kinz

okay, so, you believe every thinker within a movement has to agree on absolutely everything? is that right? i guess GW Bush and John McCain are pretty school girlish, too, by your definition. they too had a feud a few years back, despite "belonging" to the same party. Malcolm X and MLK JR also weren't bosom buddies, but this didn't make either of them "catty" or schoolgirls. some prefer a more radical approach when encouraging change in society, while others prefer to make a more conservative effort. to each his or her own. it has nothing to do with cattiness. feminists don't have to agree on anything but equality.

why is it whem women disagree with one another they are considered catty? The one woman humiliated another, hmmm, that makes her insensitive and perhaps egotistical, but catty? I don't think Feminist has anything to do with it....

It has nothing to do with women (or cats ;) ). Some people are just a@@holes.

Tali

• ?

Even us non-feminists can be catty, I'll admit. :)

Women are generally emotional, so we have this tendency to be catty.

you are being biased, and this is a true "girly-girl" you're getting this answer from

We don't need no stupid fememiministsts