bec asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

toffee recipe?

my kids want me to make toffee's does any one know of a recipe that calls for white sugar as all the one i found so far want brown sugar.

thanx in advance for any answers

Update:

i finally found one that looks like the one i used to make............

Plain Toffee

2 cups sugar

Three quarters cup cold water

1 tablespoon brown vinegar

Sprinkles (optional)................this would be white sugar tho wouldn't it??? as it doesn't say but the other recipes on the page say brown sugar if they mean brown, i haven't made these since i was in school (a while ago now) any help would be great :)

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Hey Bec, here are some websites that uses white sugar in their recipes. The second one show you step by step of how to do it with pictures. One of them is for sponge toffee it will say it in the link, and the last one say best toffee recipe quick and easy. Hope one of them work for you. Please note: to see the complete link scroll over it.

www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/30/English_Toffee45665.shtml

www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/159/English-Toffee

www.netcooks.com/recipes/Cookies/Old.Fashioned.Sponge.Toffee.html

www.barlowsrecipes.com/English_Toffee_Recipe.html

allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Toffee-Ever---Super Easy/Detail.aspx

• 1 decade ago

below recipe has whit sugar, try it,

Ingredients:

60g Margarine

180g White Sugar

155g Golden Syrup

70g Black Treacle

20mls Vinegar

Method:

Put the margarine and the white sugar in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring all of the time. When all of the margarine has melted, add the golden syrup and black treacle. Continue to stir until the sugar has dissolved. Boil slowly, over a low heat, stirring occasionally.

You need to boil off enough water for the mixture to solidify when cooled to room temperature but you also need to keep the temperature of the mixture low enough during cooking to prevent burning. The test involves getting a sample of mixture on a teaspoon and dropping it into cold water - either in a cup or a saucer.

When the test yields a soft but not liquid result, add the vinegar carefully. The water and most of the acetic acid in the vinegar will boil off but some will stay in the toffee and modify the flavour - most importantly, the malt will stay in the final toffee.

Lightly grease a toffee tray with margarine.

Keep on boiling slowly and testing every few minutes (things speed up towards the end) until you get a stiff result - you will get a feel for how fast you can boil toffee without burning it. Carefully pour into a greased toffee tray and let cool. When cold, break up with a toffee hammer or the handle of a heavy knife or spoon.

Variations:

Add some peppermint oil or orange oil near the end to alter the flavour slightly.

Add some nuts (sliced roast almonds or brazils).

Storage:

Break up and store in an airtight tin - bonfire toffee is deliquescent so, unless you want to end up with a sugar solution, make sure that it is airtight.

Serving suggestions:

Eat straight from the tin whilst watching the bonfire.

• Clare
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Toffee is a confection made by boiling molasses or sugar along with butter, milk and occasionally flour.

Brown sugar contains molasses but white (granulated) sugar doesn't, so if you use white sugar, you'd have to add molasses to make toffee. Without either molasses or brown sugar, it just wouldn't be toffee.

But, you can make a toffee-like candy without molasses and with white sugar like this:

8 ounces almonds

12 ounces dark chocolate

2 cups (1 pound) butter (do not use margarine)

2-2/3 cups granulated sugar

1/3 cup water

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1. Toast the nuts by spreading them on a cookie sheet and placing them in a 325-degree oven for approximately 10 minutes. Stir them every 3-4 minutes, and remove them once they darken and become fragrant.

2. Let the nuts cool, then chop them finely.

3. Prepare a 12x16 inch cookie sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.

4. Combine the butter, sugar, water and corn syrup in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to 300 degrees (hard crack stage).

5. Remove from heat and pour in the prepared baking sheet. Use a spatula or spoon to spread the candy evenly to a quarter-inch thickness. Allow to cool.

6. While candy is cooling, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or a microwave. It does not need to be tempered.

7. Pour half the melted chocolate over the cooled candy and spread to the edges. Place half the chopped almonds on top of the chocolate and press slightly to secure them. Allow to set completely.

8. Invert the candy so that the bottom is now face up. Spread the remaining chocolate on the toffee (it may need to be rewarmed) and sprinkle with the remaining nuts.

9. Allow to set completely. Once cool, break into small pieces by hand.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.