roo asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Surviving the Holocaust..?

A Holocaust survivor by the name of Luba Frederick, said (of the Holocaust), "To die was easy." That is quite the statement...and based on how most of us live seems hard to comprehend...

I know there was a tremendous amount of suffering; far more I've ever experienced.

But what are your thoughts on her statement...What exactly do you think it means?

Favorite Answer

I would interpret her statement as meaning "It would have been easier to die". This would refer to the fact that the genocide being perpetrated on the Jewish People by the Nazis was so overwhelming and the treatment in the Concentration Camps was so brutal, that merely surviving to the stage of extermination would have been difficult.

Additionally, I found an article (see my Source(s) below) that talks about a lesson from the Talmud taught by a famous Rabbi. The story basically outlines how the Rabbi prayed for the death of a wrongdoing man and when questioned about this by others he justified his actions by explaining that God would not kill the man, but he would want the man to do right. Therefore, the Rabbi believed that God would bring about the circumstances or the opportunities for the wrongdoing man to make amends, change his ways and thus be saved.

Relating this story to the original question that has been posed, maybe we can theorise that Ms. Luba Frederick was suggesting that her death would have been far simpler (and more likely), but for the intervention of her God.

When faced with such pain, deprivation, and humiliation it would be easier to die than to try and survive from a purely psychological view. But also, imagine the sorrow and guilt the survivors had. Being in one of those camps and surviving you would constantly ask yourself, "Is there something I could have done to save someone else? I remember a movie about this woman who was a musician and the orchestra had to play to cover the screams of the people being put to death and how guilty it made her feel. I think it was called "Playing for Time". Anyway, there are at least two different reasons it would have been easier to die and there may be more. I have never experienced anything like what they lived through and truly hope that no one else has to go through anything like that.

Holocaust survivors suffered the ultimate punishment: they were forced to watch their families, friends and loved ones tortured to death, starved to death, beaten to death, worked to death... : (

So to DIE was the ultimate RELIEF for them.

DEATH meant FREEDOM from the daily suffering and torture and punishment, they were forced to endure.

Death meant they were free at last.

Survivors, who live to tell the horror tales, are forced to REMEMBER what they saw, felt and experienced on a daily basis. They can NEVER be "free" from all of the HORRORS they endured - they will be forever SCARRED by that experience.

It is only in DEATH they will finally be "free."

Luba Frederick

When living is so painful and difficult, with unimaginable horror being a part of every day life, it is much easier to die. It's easier to die than fight your way through that kind of pain and misery. I think it's an extraordinary statement.

It's so simple you don't even need a big brain to know this answer. During holocaust everyone was dying from hunger, disease, dehydration,gasrooms,shots,fights,bombs.. it was literaly a hell. That is right you've never seen the people's sufferings in holocaust. And everything you experiance in your life probably wouldn't even come close. To die is easy because every day is filled with new challenges once you were put into a camp. Each day was a survival challenge for them. Only the best and the fittest survived.. if lucky.

How do i know?

Well my background polish and russian

Grand Grandfather survived auschwitz.

My Grand Grandmother stayed in bialystok within the forests were she hid some nights with her 4 kids which were 3 and older at the time. ya that does include my grandmother that is still alive. My grand grandmother's house was raded by german troops and also bombed so they lived with a friend and somtimes they lived in the forest to avoid getting deported. My Grand Grandmother's oldest son who was 17 went off to war. A grinade tor him to peices during a fight. Anways after about a year things started to get better and they got a new house to live at that she inharited from her friend who died. They lived there for a bit and the children went to school for a month until it got bombed. My grandmother literaly only has a grade 3 education.. no more. The girl who lived next door tought my granmother to read. After a fough years of hiding out the war was finally over and communism came which was better then constantly getting bombed and living in fear of death. My grandgrandmother married another man because she thought her first husband was dead after three or four years. That husband got rid of mygrandmother by aranging her to marry his friends son. She was forcfully moved to warsaw were she married him. My grand grandmother had no control over it at the time. She had three children including mymother with that man. He turned into an alchoholic and eventually he got shot because he got into a fight. Communism ended by the time my mother was in college. Unfortunetly there was still poverty. She fell inlove with a nice russian guy who was nothing like what people described russians as. They had me, but there wasn't enough money so when immigration opportunites were talked about in the schools my mom signed us up for a boat ride to Canada. We left poland and came here. I was only five at the time.

So yea you can't really imagine that kind of pain can you?

suprisingly a lot of people are in ow when i tell them my grand grandmother is still alive. Shes 89. She can walk and has no mental illness. She cooks and cleans for herslef only a caretaker buys her groceries. I saw her last summer and she was so happy to see me. Shes is a walking miracle i think...

a women who grew up during world war 1 and raised her kids during world war 2 .. lived through communism.. and is still somwhat poor. Doesn't matter the women still laughs and smiles

PS boleive me lady the only freedom they wanted was to get out and not to die. Getting out to see their family.. friends.. get there life back. no one wants to die. Ya i know i know three living survivors.. they remember, but they don;t constantly cry.. they live the last greatful free days of their lives. Why drawn yourself in misery if you've been through it for years.. they continue with their lives. These survivors are strong people not weak. Only those foolish ones mope. No one wants to remember thats why they move on. Do you think it's easy? Of corse you know it's not, but there is somthing better as time goes on.

I think it means that living was so hard at that time that many viewed death as a means of relief/escape.

Horrific circumstances and chronic extreme distress would understandably cause a person to feel/think like this.

• hickey

theres no reply to this query. its now not viable to verify. one million) we dont understand what the definition of survived way. it might imply have shyed away from, it might imply within the ghetto, attention camps, and so on. two)plenty of youngsters had been hidden and rancid the files, so theres and additionala bunch that we do not understand approximately. however three million youngsters had been killed

• Whynot

I think it means the memories she carried was a far worse thing than dying would have been. She survived murder, but suffered the memories of it.