How do I check my TPS(Throttle Position Sensor)???

I own a 1996 pontiac sunfire 2.4. How do i know if the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is goint bad? How can i check it? How can i clean it (if possible)? How do i replace it (if needed)?

Favorite Answer

A good indication of a bad TPS is a sudden lose of power at a specific pedal position and engine RPM.

Using a DVOM(Digital Volt Ohm Meter), connect the negitive probe(black) to ground or battery negitive. The positive (red) probe to the signal(middle) wire.( wire 1 = 5 Volts = referance, wire 2 = .5 volts = signal , wire 3 = 0 volts = ground) Set the meter to DC volts and turn the key to the ON position.With the TPS connected,slowly open the throttle and watch the voltage on the meter climb from .5 volts to 4.5 Volts. any sudden drop or radicule change in readings indicates a bad sensor.

The problem with this method is that you can't see the voltage change over the time it takes to open the throttle. This is why a professional will use a labscope/oscilliscope. It has the ability to graph the changes over a period of time, which is the most accurate way to find a bad sensor.The technician will watch the arc on the graph, looking for the same results using the same setup.

There is no way to clean it, but it might be adjustable if the sensor has mounting slots.

to replace it is simply removing 2 or 3 bolts, if it is replaceable. If not, the whole throttle body unit will have to be replaced. Yours should be replaceable.

Source(s): A.S.E. Advanced Automotive Engine Performance Technician
  • gowans

Clean Throttle Position Sensor

The TPS is a variable resistor type device, You set it with a volt ohm meter. The procedure is quite simple but the value changes with each vehicle, you need to know what the required value and procedure is. Forget cleaning it, most are riveted together. Even if you replace it, it has to be calibrated per the vehicle specs. FYI, they don't go bad often, they are a low voltage,low current device. But they do crap out. Dust inside them can be a problem, they aren't an expensive part.

Don't guess at the setting, it is important for the computer to know the exact position of the throttle so it can calculate other things.

Source(s): I am a mechanic/tech

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): check tps throttle position sensor: https://biturl.im/JevbY

Sometimes that will cause the light to trip on but not always. Also, the throttle plate might be gunked up and you can spray carb cleaner over it to clean it up and it really helps sometimes. If you have to replace the throttle position sensor that's only about fifteen bucks from the discount places and just bolt right on where the old one comes off.

I know the buicks had a prblem with them on the 96's. My shop teacher has one and he replaced it 4 times now. TPS sensors on that car run between 0 and 1 volt. If you put a volt ohm meter on it while the car is running rev the engine and see if the volts goes up and what it does. Like what was already said they are relativly cheap to replace and not too hard to set.

You cannot clean the TPS, the only way to check it is with jumpers and a volt meter, or a diagnostic computer. You would check the voltage from open to close and then the swing to make sure there is no "opens" in the circuit.