Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do reformed Jews eat pork?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Gary D
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Reform Jews "can" eat pork, shellfish and other non-kosher foods if they "choose" to. So, some do and some don't.

If you're inviting someone who's Jewish to dinner, it's usually best to ask whether they observe kosher dietary laws. there's a whole bunch of things that are considered un-kosher...

pork

shellfish - shrimp, clams, oysters, lobster, crab, etc.

eel

octopus

any predatory birds like hawks, or similar

serving meat with milk products - i.e. cheeseburgers, creamed chipped beef, beef, or lamb with cream sauces or even served "with" anything containing milk or dairy products like yogurt, or cheese.

A realy unusual one used to be Oreo cookies...they weren't kosher because the cream in the middle was made with lard (beef fat) The Nabisco company has since changed the formula for the cream middle and made them kosher.

Only during the Passover season: both Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews don't eat leavened breads. Ashkenazi Jews cannot eat things like rice, beans, or other grains or things that are made from grains (i.e. anything made with high-fructose corn syrup, like Coke & Pepsi). Sephardic Jews are allowed to eat foods made from grains during Passover.

Source(s): I'm Reform Jewish.
  • 4 years ago

Reformed Jews

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Reform Judaism doesnt believe Halacha law is binding in this modern age.So some do some dont.

Source(s): Modern Orthodox Jew
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Some do, some don't. A lot won't have it in their homes, but will have it when they eat out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

I don't usually, but I really love pot stickers!! Wish they would serve chicken ones in Chinese places~ESPECIALLY on Christmas! ;)

• 5 years ago

My Jewish friend loves Bacon! hee hee :) mmmmm

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.