Laptop heating?

I just want to know, is it safe to keep my laptop sitting on top of my bed mattress (with no covers or anything) running? Is there any danger of the laptop actually overheating and destroying itself? I have heard of stories where people leave the laptop lying around somewhere and it burns out because the material it was sitting on caused it to overheat..

Favorite Answer

Its not good to just lay your laptop on you bed. When you do that you are blocking your the vents for you processor fan, you could do one of 2 things, you could go to Circuit City and buy an external fan, you lapt top will fit inside it and it will help circulate the air. Or use a board or smething flat and use your laptop on that.

Yes, laptops can overheat, so it's not a good idea to leave it lying on a mattress for long periods of time. However, if you set it on a lap desk (between the laptop and the mattress) it should help significantly.

• decker

Funny I am in bed right now on the laptop : ) The answer is there is a danger of overheating and damage as the blankets will cover up air intakes preventing proper airflow plus that lithium battery will build up heat as it is surrounded by insulation . This can lead to a very dangerous condition. I would suggest getting one of these for bedroom use:

http://www.gamegiants.net/product_info.php?cPath=1...

My friend just had to buy a new laptop because his old one overheated and broke down. Guess where he kept it? On the bed mattress. Don't do that mistake. You will regret it..

• LISA

not good at all. they actually make cooling fan things for the laptop to sit on to keep the vents open. between 20-40 dollars. check with staples, circuit city, best buy, etc.

Yep - especially if it is a Mac.

Best to set it on a hard surface when you aren't using it or better still, shut it down.

yeah not so good