Why do people wear and display the Confederate Flag today ...?

and what does it mean to them? Do people realize that the Confederacy wanted to leave the Union partially in order to continue slavery? Are these people seeking to affiliate themselves with racism, slavery, and bigotry or perhaps with the desire to leave the US?

I never said the Civil War was solely about slavery nor did I say that the South was all about racism, slavery, and bigotry.

Favorite Answer

Mostly it's young folks trying to be kewl or to irritate the older folks. Few of them are interested in it's earlier meaning or even know of it.

There is an organization called "Sons of Confederate Veterans" and another called "Daughters of Confederate Veterans" who do recognize the fact that the Confederate flag represents that which is not so admirable. They do, however, feel that their ancestors - one must be a proven descendant of an actual Confederate soldier to join either group - were Americans who served honorably for a cause they believed in.

Few Confederate soldiers owned slaves or gave a rip about slaves or slavery - in fact, a good many Confederates disapproved of slavery. The perception was, however, that the North was unjustifiably interfering in their states' business and strongly resented the invasion of Northern armies. That, far more than the slavery issue, is what led most Confederates to take up arms.

I must admit I have an ancestor who owned slaves. I do not apologize for that; I believe he was wrong, but he also freed his slaves before Lincoln issued that famous proclamation. His slaves voluntarily accepted employment with him for wages when he freed them.

I feel the Union needed to be preserved and therefore reluctantly agree with Lincoln's decision to do it by force.

I also do not fly the Confederate flag - at least, not one that you'd recognize. See, the flag commonly called "the Confederate flag" actually was their battle standard and was never their national colors. There were four national Confederate flags - the Bonnie Blue and three flags called the First National, the Second National and the Third National. There is a grave in a cemetery here in Upstate New York that is occupied by a Confederate veteran. On veteran's day, I will place a small version of the First National flag on his grave. I do not honor slavery, but I do honor his sincere service to his country...and he did go on after the war to reconcile with the Union and went to work in New York and lived as a model citizen for the rest of his life.

Besides his flag, I will help my fellow veterans decorate the other veterans graves in this cemetery with the Stars and Stripes - Civil War veterans, Revolutionary War veterans, War of 1812 veterans and veterans of every other armed conflict this country has been involved in. I expect that someone will so mark my grave when I finally am interred.

well, they could be stupid, ignorant and racist.

they could be remembering their southern heritage...whatever that actually is.

they might think is just "cool" to wear it.

or...maybe they don't even know themselves...

oh yeah...anyone who says the war was about "states rights" is correct, but the big right was to keep and own slaves. So the war represents a war on slavery. It doesn't matter how you sugarcoat it with different words. Look at the history of the swastika. It used to be (and I think still is) a religeous symbol. But try putting it on your chuch door and saying it represents peace and love....

The nazis destroyed the original meaning of the swastika and slavery overrides any other issue in the Civil War.

You show quite a bit of ignorance if you believe that the Confederate States of America were all about "racism, slavery, and bigotry."

Read a little, then come back and ask your question again.

I display mine all the time, its heritage not hate and has nothin to do with racism,

Also yes the south did lose! Ok so what? Is America gonna take the flag down because we are losing the war????

DONT THINK SO

Let me think. The south lost. People where the flag. The flag is a symbol of the south. The south lost. The flag is a simbol of the south that lost. The flag is a symbol for losers?

And the flag cannot be worn by blacks but the south used blacks to fight for slavery because they had no choice and where afraid.

The KKK uses the Flag. Neo Nazis do. My racist next door neighbor who told me he hates blacks because we are inferior (His words not mines) has a giant conferderate flag.

I can only conclude it is a sign of racism and losing..........?

Last night a little dancer

Came dancin to my door

Last night a little angel

Came pumping on the floor

She said a come baby

Ive got a license for love

And if it expires

Pray help from above

Because

In the midnight hour

She cried more, more, more

With a rebel yell

She cried more, more, more

Owww

In the midnight hour, babe

More, more, more

With a rebel yell

More, more, more

More, more, more

Because they believe they are hillbillies. Most of them are not. There are many ways that we cling to the Confederacy: Fort Hood, Fort Bragg, Fort Benning are all named after Confederate Generals.

It's a national request for free dental work.

They wear it because they are still fighting the civil war......shhh....don't let them know they lost, they might throw a hissy fit.

LMAO!!!!!!!!

"Born in the USA"

THAT'S A BUNCH OF B.S. MAJORITY OF BLACKS LIVE IN THE SOUTH WE ARE SOUTHERNERS, If it meant southern pride why don't blacks fly this hateful flag and the KKK do.

I do agree with you. It's ridiculous. People who display it and are proud of it are usually insanely judgmental and racist. And they don't really care what it means because they're hicks.